FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maximizing Illustrator Performance

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dean Forss
Maximizing Illustrator Performance
on Jun 6, 2016 at 2:19:15 pm

Hi Folks,

I wanted to hear from the collective brains about your thoughts on maximizing speed in editing huge images in Illustrator. My question relates to bringing huge .eps files from college campuses directory maps that originated in autocad. The manipulation of these 700 MB files can be intense and tedious.

I'd like to know how much RAM the app will actually use. My video card is the Sapphire HD 7950 running in a 12 core mac pro with 32 gigs of ram. I'm just wondering if another 32 gigs of ram will help or not? Other ideas? Of course I turn off layers that I'm not editing but it's still heavy lifting all the time.

I'm about to build a PC with the newest skylake 6700 and 64 gigs of ddr4 ram along with two nvme drives and two GTX1080 cards. I need to run dual 4k displays with the setup.

Thanks for any insight,
Dean

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Maximizing Illustrator Performance
on Jun 7, 2016 at 3:39:26 pm

Check Adobe's site on GPU performance if you plan to use the GPU acceleration: https://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/gpu-performance-preview-improvements...

Beyond that, set your scratch disks, and having more RAM for graphics and system are never a bad idea (I have 64GB on on my Mac and I would love more still).

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Maximizing Illustrator Performance
on Jun 7, 2016 at 4:42:53 pm

Aside from hardware considerations, you could try and approach the task differently. If I got a file that was that large, I would likely convert it to an image, bring it in as an image on a layer and then draw what I actually needed on another layer using the image as a reference, rather that trying to directly work with a 700MB file in Illustrator and extract the parts from there.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]