FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator and Image Size (Raster Image)

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
steve wilson
Illustrator and Image Size (Raster Image)
on May 10, 2016 at 6:43:55 pm

Hello

I'm a limited user of Adobe Illustrator CS6. I use it for my whiteboard animation. Basically I use it to help it draw the image properly.

I have a concern that i have addressed before but I never found a solution. It could be because I did not explain it well.

Basically the concern is when I open a Raster Image in illustrator it does not open at the image size.

Since I'm not sure I'm explaining what I mean, I decided to do a video and hopefully someone will take a peek (its around 40 seconds long) and give me an explanation or solution to why the raster image opens smaller than the actually image size (because the image opens smaller it looks blurry in the whiteboard video)

Watch video please and I will show you want I mean.

Any thoughts, solutions or recommendations, would be appreciated.

Thanks

VIDEO LINK/URL

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Illustrator and Image Size (Raster Image)
on May 10, 2016 at 6:58:59 pm

Illustrator is using the Document Size of the image, not the Pixel Dimensions, I think.
Examine the image in Photoshop’s Image Size window.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 10, 2016 at 7:33:46 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure what you mean but the image size in PS is 974 x 1200. The same size as I showed in the video.

See attached screen shot below

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 8:29:48 pm

Here's what I have in CS4..

It provides the 'Document Size'. I'm not sure how to expose that value in your version. Perhaps it's available in the Height/Width dropdowns.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 8:34:47 pm

..Maybe the 'Dimensions' drop-down menu.

Vince

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 8:46:16 pm

If you have two raster images..
A - 1px X 1px, 1ppi. The document size is 1 inch and will display as 1 inch in Illustrator.
B - 1000px X 1000px, 1000ppi. This will also display as 1 inch in AI.

An inch is always an inch, but the actual size of a pixel can vary.

Vince

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 10, 2016 at 8:35:41 pm

Sorry, I guess I don't understand. You are showing the same size as I am. I'm not sure how this relates to my AI question. Sorry, confusing.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 9:01:18 pm

Knowing the pixel dimensions of an image does not tell you it's size, you also need the PPI.
To your original question, it is opening at the 'original' size.
Your 974x1200 @300ppi image is 3.25" x 4".

The pixel dimensions that Illustrator is reporting are relative to the settings in that AI project file. It's not reporting the rendered pixel dimensions of the raster image, unless you Object/Rasterize after the object is properly positioned.

The blurriness you're seeing is partially due to Illustrator not actively rendering artwork on the screen the way Photoshop does. Photoshop renders constantly. Illustrator can't because it can easily use too much memory.
All that matters is how it prints or exports.

Vince

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 10, 2016 at 9:23:36 pm

thanks for trying...but I don't get it. Everything is in pixels...both photoshop and illustrator.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 9:41:50 pm

If you are working in a 800x600 Web default AI project..
When you place a raster image into Illustrator the placed image will be it's Document Size, the pixel dimensions don't matter in themselves. It's pixel dimensions and PPI.

Illustrator / Preferences / Units / General.. If you want to see inches.

My thinking is that you simply want the placed image to be 974x1200.
Just click the image and adjust the size in the Window / Transform palette.
The will not appear as crisp as it does in Photoshop, but it will print and export fine, as long as you're not making the raster image larger than it's original size.

Vince

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 10, 2016 at 9:46:32 pm

Thanks again for trying...but doesn't work....I guess this is a lost cause.

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 10, 2016 at 9:44:31 pm

Object/Rasterize in AI didn't do anything. Sorry, I didn't explain bhit, but it is blurry when I export it. The only time the image is not blurry and the right size is when I don't use illustrator. Illustrator setting is all setup for pixels, not inches.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 9:51:28 pm

I'm sure the confusion is just PPI.
Illustrator is honoring the PPI of an image when it imports. It's a feature.
What pixel dimensions are you exporting to?

Vince

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 10, 2016 at 9:55:38 pm

Another cause of blurriness is in that AI uses sub-pixel measurement. If you place a raster image out of alignment with the pixel grid it will be re-rendered and blurred slightly, even if it is the same size.

Vince

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on May 11, 2016 at 6:35:23 am

In short, what should work is:

In Photoshop, resize the image so that it is 72 dpi. Do not resample (turn the "resample" checkbox off). You want the pixel dimensions to remain the same, but change the resolution to the same as Illustrator uses, the default value of which is 72 dpi.

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 11, 2016 at 3:37:52 pm

I want to thank everyone for their help. Maybe a day will come when all this technical stuff sinks in. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

steve wilson
on May 11, 2016 at 3:54:32 pm

I should mention that changing the resolution to 72dpi in PS did work and the image was sized appropriately in AI.

The only problem is the image quality was not so hot.

Too bad you can't do both -- keep the resolution at 300dpi and still have the image the appropriate size in AI.

Thanks Again

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]