FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Rasterized Text Back Into Editable Text

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Thompson
Changing Rasterized Text Back Into Editable Text
on Mar 28, 2016 at 6:05:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm an Assistant Video Editor who has never used Illustrator before, so I apologize if my question is disconnected from the way the program functions. We have subtitles that are PNGs created and exported by a subtitling program called Annotation Edit. We are trying to figure out if there is a way to edit the text of individual PNGs in Illustrator or another program (as we can't go back into Annotation Edit easily and re-export individual subtitles that have been revised). It appears, when I open the image in Illustrator, that the text has been rasterized.

I know there is a way to use Image Trace to turn it into a vector, but can I actually turn into editable text that I can edit with the text tool (we are looking more for the ability to change wording rather than formatting/appearance)? Perhaps this is more trouble than it's worth and we should just create new subtitles when we revise. But if there is a way to get Illustrator to magically read the rasterized image as text and edit it, I would love to know.

Thank you!

Nick

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Changing Rasterized Text Back Into Editable Text
on Mar 29, 2016 at 6:53:30 am

Nope, not directly in Illustrator, you need OCR (optical character recognition) software for that.

One workaround is to use Adobe Acrobat:

http://www.designparc.com/adobe-illustrator-tip-convert-outlined-ai-text-ba...

Considering that subtitles are pretty short, I'm quite certain it will be more trouble that way than doing it manually.

Return to posts index

Nick Thompson
Re: Changing Rasterized Text Back Into Editable Text
on Mar 29, 2016 at 1:16:03 pm

Thanks very much Kalle, I appreciate it!

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]