FORUMS: list search recent posts

Different color fill layers inside a text in illustrator.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Javier Lopez
Different color fill layers inside a text in illustrator.
on Mar 23, 2016 at 3:29:09 am

Hello,

I have a text in illustrator, converted to outlines, can anyone please provide the steps to place different color layers inside the text?, I want to replicate the following patterns, pleas take a look at this picture:

I had tried adding a new fill in the appearance panel, but it add's a layer in the shape of the letter not quadrangular so I can transform to replicate the look of the picture above.

I greatly appreciate all the help.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
Re: Different color fill layers inside a text in illustrator.
on Mar 23, 2016 at 2:04:29 pm

Hm. I'm a little pressed for time, so I can't do a full step-by-step; there are however several on the Internet with a quick Google search: illustrator layer mask tutorial

Basically, you will:
1) Create a background fill that is larger than all the outlines of the letters (a rectangle is fine).
2) Create the shapes you want to overlay the background and give them the appearances you want. Be certain that any design elements you don't want seen are outside the outlines of the letters.
3a) It helps if you have combined all the outlines of the letters into a compound path (CTRL-8)
3b) Group all of the elements you just created with the text outlines.
3c) In the layers panel, move the text outlines to the top spot in the group.
4) Turn the group into a clip group. (In the layers panel, the light & dark boxes icon right next to the hour glass, or one of the other ways described in the tutorials you find in the search.)

You should be done. Just tweak your design to your needs.

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

Javier Lopez
Re: Different color fill layers inside a text in illustrator.
on Mar 24, 2016 at 1:40:18 am

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your time and help I will try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]