FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layers issue...

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron curington
Layers issue...
on Jan 14, 2016 at 3:46:27 pm

I’m reasonably comfortable working with layers. After all virtually every graphics software uses layers; Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, Corel and everything else. And every one of them allows you to put multiple objects on a single layer. Illustrator insist on putting absolutely everything on its own layer. I admit that in many cases that’s great but in almost just as many cases It sucks.

Is there a way to consolidate items onto a single layer?

For instance I’m working with text and I need to manipulate the characters individually. It seems everything I do creates a new layer and in no time at all I’ve got a hundred layers and no idea which is which. When all I want to do is lock all but one letter while I work on that single letter. Without getting 15 new layers

The end result of this is that I spend half my time fiddling with the layers instead of working on the artwork.

It would be really great if you could for instance, put all the numbers of a clock face on a single layer. In fact it would border on intelligent design.

Is there something I’m missing here? Honestly it wouldn’t be the first time. Frankly I must admit a prejudice as I come to Illustrator with preconceived notions of what to expect from graphics software.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Layers issue...
on Jan 15, 2016 at 7:45:05 pm

In Illustrator you have layers and then you have sublayers. So you can have your numbers all on the same layer, but on separate sublayers. And then you can lock all the sublayers but the one you want to manipulate. For ease of navigation you can open and close the layer view to only show the layers, not the sublayers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]