FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to make infintied dotted line

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eanol Wrass
How to make infintied dotted line
on Dec 18, 2015 at 3:17:42 am

How do i make infinite dotted stroke for each of the shapes in the following attachment, e.g. head, body with parts of the shape with stroke while the other remains unstroked. The illustrator dotted line doesn't have enough entries for me to use. I wish to use Illustrator if possible for consistent footage color management in after effects composition. Thanks.

I tried it in Inkscape and GIMP, but no luck.

stroke.png

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: How to make infintied dotted line
on Dec 18, 2015 at 8:09:25 am

By "infinite", do you mean repeating from one end of the line to the other?

The Illustrator dotted line is a repeating pattern, which repeats to infinity. You don't input every dot separately, jut the length of dots and spaces to define the shortest repeating pattern.

Thus, if you make a dotted line with the value of "2 points", you'll get a repeating pattern of two points of stroke follow by a two-point gap, repeating ad infinitum. The additional slots are for more complex patterns, such as a repeating short and long strokes.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: How to make infintied dotted line
on Dec 18, 2015 at 8:22:52 am

Okay, reading that again, I get that you mean you want to draw the entire shape with a single stroke, using the dotted line options.

That being the case, instead of using the dotted line options, you should make a custom brush that has the separate pieces and apply the brush to that single stroke.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]