How do I make a scattered glass text effect

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Constance Liong
How do I make a scattered glass text effect
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:53:10 am

Now, I am trying to merge this two tutorials:

1. creates glass texture on text
http://design.tutsplus.com/tutorials/create-a-colorful-glass-text-effect-in...
the outcome:

2. divides text like scattered glass
http://www.vectordiary.com/tips-and-tricks/broken-glass-effect/
this is the supposed outcome of the tutorial:

But when I want to apply the 2nd tutorial on the outcome of the first one, it doesn't work. I am not sure whether it is because the [divide objects below] function doesn't work on a bunch of grouped paths? Help would be much appreciated thanks

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: How do I make a scattered glass text effect
on Oct 28, 2015 at 11:04:39 pm

After looking at the tutorials, I'd say yes - The broken glass technique isn't working because it presumes you're working with basic shapes.
That Colorful Glass tutorial is a monster :)

You could potentially do the shatter first, then apply the glass effect, but I'm not sure the edges would look like you want them to, and you'd have to manually set the gradient for each portion, which would be tedious.

You could potentially create a complex clipping mask of the negative shape of the shatter and apply it to the finished glass, but you wouldn't be able to do any of the special positioning of the shattered elements, you'd just be creating cracks in the text.

You could also potentially reduce that number of cracked parts. Duplicate the finished glass, like 6 times or whatever, then create a clipping mask on each one, in various cracked shapes, then put the 6 pieces together to finish the final art.
The artwork will be heavy (not a bad thing), but something to consider with this approach.

I don't have any other strong ideas, with the techniques that you want to use.

You might need to simplify or rethink the approach. There are a number of ways to achieve a glass look.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]