A substitute for retas pipeline?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sumit Makwana
A substitute for retas pipeline?
on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:48:30 pm
Last Edited By Sumit Makwana on Oct 22, 2015 at 6:52:40 pm

Hello,

Recently I have started taking a lot of interest in 2d animation(anime style to be precise) and have already begun practicing and improving my drawing skills. And I just have stumbled upon a small hurdle that I need to overcome.

From my recent google searches, it seems that RETAS Pro is the way to go for anime style animation. But the problem is I wont be able to fetch a copy of it for two reasons, first the price, and secondly, its not available in my country(India), or I haven't looked for it thoroughly.

Anyways, the reason for me posting this in the illustrator section of the forum is because I am mainly concerned with the digitizing process of my hand drawn animation. I will be doing all the animation drawings on paper and then digitize them on my computer. And it seems that the STYLOS HD from the retas pipeline is what will help in recreating my paper drawings into digital art, and then the PAINTMAN HD for the colouring part, etc.

Now since its not available, can I use Adobe Illustrator for that matter of digitizing my handiwork? As far as I know, Illustrator has the options of tracing, drawing(pen tool!) and colouring as well. Lets just focus on the drawing part though. STYLOS HD is a raster and vector based drawing tool with a light table option. And Illustrator is just vector based drawing, and also does more stuff that I don't know about. I will be using simple colours and not advanced colour gradients. I hope I am not making things complicated.

In simple words, I want to digitize my hand drawn paper animation on my computer, will Illustrator do the trick and can be used as a substitute for STYLOS HD? Or maybe there is another software that I may have looked over?

And just in case, here is the link to the description of STYLOS HD
http://www.celsys.co.jp/en/products/retas/stylos/index.html

EDIT: I will be getting a Wacom table by December.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]