FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator convert anchor tool virtual impossible to work with ???

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron curington
Illustrator convert anchor tool virtual impossible to work with ???
on Oct 6, 2015 at 4:42:25 pm

Is there something I’m missing with Illustrator? I have worked for years with CorelDraw. In CorelDraw working with ”Nodes” is just stupidly simple. With the Shape tool selected you just click on a node and then select the “Make node a cusp” option and viola the anchor point has two “2” handles that can be independently manipulated. In fact I’m pretty sure even flash works essentially the same way. Yep I just checked and it does work just fine, just as you might expect. If I select the “Convert Anchor Point’ tool it works just like you would expect click and drag on an anchor point and it gives me two handles that I can then manipulate individually as desired and they stay there until I select a different tool or anchor point.

So why is it that in Illustrator when I select the “Convert Anchor Point “ tool and then click and drag, it gives me 2 handles but as soon as I release the one I was dragging from, the other handle disappears. and trying to get it back is an absolute nightmare giving me things like moving the entire curve / path (object) or resetting the anchor point or something else equally aggravating i.e. “NOT” giving me two editable handles.

Is there some secret trick that makes the anchor point tools work like they do in virtually every other graphics software on the planet?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Illustrator convert anchor tool virtual impossible to work with ???
on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:11:03 pm

Is there something I’m missing with Illustrator?
Yes.
I'd chalk it up to a behavioral difference.
So why is it that in Illustrator...
Because the conversion is complete and Illustrator is more sophisticated than whatever you're comparing it to.
To do further manipulations after the anchor conversion is complete, click A for the Direct Select tool.
The Convert Anchor tool works with both Click/Drag and just Click, which is particularly useful for resetting curves to corners.

Welcome to the big boy club.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Oct 6, 2015 at 6:22:21 pm

If you have lots of anchor points to convert and want to stay on the convert anchor point tool, you can hold down the Ctrl key (PC) to temporarily use the direct selection tool, and release it to go back to the convert anchor point tool.

Return to posts index

ron curington
on Oct 7, 2015 at 12:35:01 am

So you're telling me that in the big boy tools it's not possible to have both handles active at the same time. Not sure how that qualifies as big boy tools rather than stupid tool design.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 7, 2015 at 3:55:15 am

No, actually. I'm not telling you that.
You've seemed to come in here with a head of steam. What's the deal?

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]