FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting layered illustrator file to layered PSD

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hillaby
exporting layered illustrator file to layered PSD
on Jun 29, 2015 at 8:45:40 pm

Every time i try to export my layered ai file to a layered psd to work with it in photo shop it just merges all of the layers into one and won't let me edit anything.\
What do i need to do?

Here is the file so you can download it and help me out if you can!

8995_redvendingmachine.ai.zip

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
Re: exporting layered illustrator file to layered PSD
on Jun 30, 2015 at 3:09:10 pm

Photoshop and Illustrator function completely differently; not only are they designed to work on different kinds of artwork, they have to "think" differently to do what they do. That means that very few of the COMPONENTS of the artwork they create and edit are directly compatible with each other. This fact makes it difficult to move artwork back and forth to edit it.

That said, Adobe understands that you may want to try, so they give you the option to export. With "maximum editability". I downloaded your file and tried it myself.

First, you didn't embed an image, so I just deleted that layer to continue my testing.

Second, I tried File > Export...; "Photoshop (*.PSD)" check "Use Artboard" select "All" > Export; color model "RGB" resolution "High (300ppi)" options "Write Layers" selected "Maximum Editability" checked > OK. A notification comes up and says "Some containers in the AI document have been flattened." When I open that document, it is indeed completely flattened.

Next, I ungrouped EVERYTHING (that is a chore, the blends need to be done manually) and tried again (same settings); there was no warning and there were some editable layers in the PSD.

So, tweak your artwork, ungroup and export. Repeat until you get the results you want in Photoshop.

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]