FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator performance

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Kaniuk
Illustrator performance
on Jun 24, 2015 at 10:46:12 pm

I've got a couple of designers using Illustrator CC 2014 1.1 on OS X 10.10.3. They are noticing intermittent spinning wait cursors when performing fairly basic tasks e.g. placing an image, moving an image, entering text, copying and pasting images, undoing and redoing actions. The Illustrator documents aren't massive (around 30MB) and the images aren't large either.

The Macs are tricked out 15" Retina MacBook Pros (16GB RAM, large SSD). Scratch disk is set to the SSD.

They are accessing Illustrator files shared over AFP from a Mac Mini server with a Promise Pegasus2 R4 unit (RAID 10). The Macs connect over gigabit ethernet and I have confirmed that the Macs can read/write to the shared RAID volume at gigabit speeds.

I've done a quick test by connecting one of the Macs directly to the RAID storage over Thunderbolt and the issue didn't occur (I wouldn't call it 100% proof) but I'm now leaning towards it being the "slower" gigabit link.

When an Illustrator file is open from the server and the user is modifying it, does Illustrator continuously need to write back to the files location? Or continuously read the linked images? (Even so, Gigabit ethernet should be more than capable?)

The users have also mentioned they see similar behaviour with Indesign.

Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Illustrator performance
on Jun 25, 2015 at 4:13:25 pm
Last Edited By Vincent Rosati on Jun 25, 2015 at 4:14:57 pm

Hopefully you'll get a better answer, but I've worked in 2 agency environments that were similar to what you describe. In both cases, the practice was to pull the project folder to your desktop, then push back when done.
The issue was that often project managers or other personnel would randomly open the file and do who knows what with them.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]