FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie path merging question.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Moog Gravett
Newbie path merging question.
on Apr 21, 2015 at 11:55:24 am

Hi All,

I'm very new to Illustrator, thoug well versed with much of the rest of the Adobe suite.

I'm experiencing a problem with cutting one shape from another. I've looked at a number of tutorials / help files / forum posts, but of course, they never tell you what to do when things go wrong.

So I've created an image...

And I want to remove the dark blue line from the white shape.
Everything tells me to move the blue line to the front, select both objects and hit the Minus Front tool in pathfinder. However, when I do, the whole white object vanishes. (Except for an outline bit, which is a separate layer)

Through my attempts, I randomly had one go where the shape did in fact cut out, but it closed the shape and made an ugly big hole.

Hopefully someone can untangle my mess and put me on the right path. It would be awesome if someone could also help me to avoid this kind of issue in the future.

All the best,

Moog

Return to posts index

Lindsay Carter
Re: Newbie path merging question.
on May 3, 2015 at 5:44:53 pm

Hello Moog! The way that you described should have worked. Is the dark blue line a closed shape or a line?

Here is another option to try. Select both layers and in your pathfinder panel go use divide. Deselect the artwork. Come back and double click on the blue line to enter isolation mode. You should then be able to just click on the blue line and delete it.

You can also try doing the same technique with the merge option.

Hope this helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]