FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking Multiple Illustrator Files

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Evan Jones
Linking Multiple Illustrator Files
on Jan 27, 2015 at 8:28:11 pm

I want to know if there is a way to link illustrator files so that if I make changes in one file it updates relevant changes in other illustrator files.

For example: I am making a series of illutrator files where I am using pattern fills to fill in shapes. I would like to make a Legend for the series of files with descriptions of the meaning of the pattern fills I am using. I was hoping that there is a way to link this legend to each of the ~20 files that it applies to with the intention being if I have to change one of my pattern fills I could just change it in the Legend file and it would automatically update all of the ~20 files that I linked it to.

Is this possible to do in illustrator? Whats the best way to proceed?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Linking Multiple Illustrator Files
on Jan 28, 2015 at 8:28:06 pm

Okay so I'm guessing you mean to link files to your AI files similar to the way in which InDesign works? I'm not sure WHEN they started doing this cuz I haven't done it in AI before (only PS and ID) so I'm not sure which version, BUT there is a "Link" option at the bottom of the Place feature (File >> Place Shift-CMD-P) in AI - I am using the latest CC. You can view the links in the Links panel (I don't think this is enabled by default) which is at Window >> Links.

PNG and JPG and other raster images appear to show in the Links panel automatically, but AI files do not (so remember to hit the Link checkbox).

Huge thanks, by the way, I was looking for a way to do just this, but I was in a pinch and I did it in InDesign instead because it was easier and I already know how that works. Now, I know there's a way to do it in AI, PS, and ID. FINALLY!

Lemme know how this works out for you. I'm happy to send screen shots and if you have an earlier AI version which doesn't have the "links" feature, post here so we can hunt that feature down to the version it first appears.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Evan Jones
on Jan 29, 2015 at 1:46:46 am

I have Illustrator CS6 and when I go to file >> place it brings up a box for me to select a file. I dont see anything about linking after clicking on place.

I dont have ID so i'm not sure what your references to ID mean in your response. It sounds like you know what I am trying to do, but it seems like the File >> Place option in CS6 might not be the same as your AI version. I pulled up the links panel from the window menu, and like you said all jpegs I had put in my illustrator file were there automatically. I tried dragging an illustrator pattern fill there, but did not have any success.

Any further input would be much appreciated!!!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:15:58 pm
Last Edited By Jonathan Ziegler on Jan 29, 2015 at 9:21:56 pm

Well, it sounds like this feature is only available in one of the newer CC versions. How unfortunate.Not sure it helps, but I'm including a screen shot of what I see in my File >> Place dialog box. The link option now comes up by default now that I've selected it. This appears at the bottom of the dialog box for Place.

Forgot to mention: ID is "InDesign."

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]