FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can anyone give me a couple tips on recreating this logo?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Sonberg
Can anyone give me a couple tips on recreating this logo?
on Jan 26, 2015 at 7:43:17 pm

The company can't find the original project files of course and I'm not so amazing in Illustrator just yet. I'm not getting a great result in image trace. I know the font is Rockwell Std. and it looks like it has an arc. I don't understand how to create the black shadow or extrusion behind the letters though.

Can anyone offer a little insight?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Can anyone give me a couple tips on recreating this logo?
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:25:31 pm

I agree with you:

Looks like someone made the text WITH the 3D letters in one go, then added an arch to all the letters. This looks like a quick design job, too. You could make small improvements to make this an awesome logo, but if this is what they want, give them what they want.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Matthew Sonberg
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:28:41 pm

Thanks Jonathon!

I made some headway on this after I posted. I was able to recreate it just the way they had it doing just about exactly what you said.

I'll take any suggestions you have on improvements though cause I don't really like it either!

Ha!

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 27, 2015 at 6:48:36 pm

Well, the colors are big - they're using plain yellow and red with white and black. The problem is that the yellow and red come off as highlight and they wipe out the lettering (when you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing). Instead, de-emphasize the chevron/shield and maybe abstract it a bit so it's less a part of the main design and more like a background element. Then, overlay the text (over the chevron) and find a better font (there are TONS of fonts out there). Emphasize the fonts, but try for more print-oriented colors and take some of the brightness out if you have to use the yellow and red.

These are just a couple suggestions. I think if you had to do 1 thing, it's recolor the whole thing. If you can do another, then redesign the chevron. If you had to do a third, change the fonts. Others may have a different set of priorities and, of course, the client will nearly always drive the work.

Hope this helps. :)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]