FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stuck trying to color nested starburst pattern. Please assist.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Harbert
Stuck trying to color nested starburst pattern. Please assist.
on Oct 17, 2014 at 4:35:48 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to learn illustrator and doing various experiments. I'm having trouble coloring the starburst/flower pattern that I've created.

Here's the whole vector:

I want to color the spaces between the every shrinking starbursts inside the larger ring. Sadly, LivePaint will only let me fill the larger circle that encloses all the smaller starburst pattern. How can I do this? Where did I go wrong? I'm still working to understand how paths, strokes and fills all interact, so any explanation or pointers will be appreciated.

I'm using CS6 on a Mac.

Here's the AI file I'm working on:
8110_starburst1.ai.zip

Thanks!

Ryan

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Stuck trying to color nested starburst pattern. Please assist.
on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:13:03 pm

You may need to break up the star patterns and color the interiors from the outside in. I see you're a newbie, so I'm not sure how to explain:

Basically, you have closed line drawings. You can color them by drawing in a shape under the outside one, add a fill, remove the stroke and send to back (or one or 2 back). Rinse, repeat. There are other ways to do it, but this is your best bet as a newbie.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ryan Harbert
Re: Stuck trying to color nested starburst pattern. Please assist.
on Oct 21, 2014 at 11:43:38 pm

Actually, the shapes are not closed. They were created with the pattern brush and then, to complicate matters, the strokes were expanded. If you hover over with a selection tool, you will see that each one highlights separately.

I understand what you are saying though, about coloring the objects separately. If they were closed paths, I could do that. And I'm sure there are other easier ways than what I did. For now though, as these pattern shapes exist, I am wondering what the options are for coloring in between them. Or is it even possible?

Thanks for the help.

Ryan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]