FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to rearrange cut 3d paths align accurately after a cut in the original 3d path

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Ravi
How to rearrange cut 3d paths align accurately after a cut in the original 3d path
on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:10:44 pm

How to rearrange cut 3d paths align accurately after a cut in the original 3d path to negotiate front and back positioning, as two ribbons twirling/twining around one another? Or suggest a workaround, thanks!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: How to rearrange cut 3d paths align accurately after a cut in the original 3d path
on Oct 2, 2014 at 10:47:33 pm

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question; but if I had to create a 2D cut file of the 3D shapes, that you seem to be describing, I would start by prototyping the real objects out of construction paper and tape or glue. Then I would scan and redraw the shapes, and test. I've done complex package design in this way.
Again, I'm not sure if this answers your question.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

John Ravi
Re: How to rearrange cut 3d paths align accurately after a cut in the original 3d path
on Oct 3, 2014 at 8:10:23 am

Desired Effect: To achieve 3d paths circling around one another like twisted wires/ribbons (eg: 's' over 's' reflected).

I drew two 2d paths one over the other with overlapping sections -> transformed paths into 3d using Extrude FX -> cut the path using scissors tool on anchors near overlapped sections -> now am able to achieve front and back arrangement of these path segments which produces the desired effect but such meeting points stand out and do not sit convincingly and compromise the quality of illustration.

HELP PLEASE!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 3, 2014 at 2:16:42 pm

Could you possibly find a picture online that shows what you are trying to draw, or upload your existing project.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

John Ravi
on Oct 3, 2014 at 9:13:04 pm

Please find the illustrator file. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 3, 2014 at 11:03:09 pm
Last Edited By Vincent Rosati on Oct 3, 2014 at 11:04:44 pm

Sorry I didn't see your upload before. I found it through your profile. At the top of the message window, when you're creating a message there are buttons to attach images and files to your post.

I don't think you'll be able to intertwine two objects in 3D space.
I don't see the issue in the first red box, just the middle one and the one on the right.

One option might be to just put small shape object patches on top of the broken parts, to hide them.
You may have to expand the artwork (Object > Expand) to help achieve the desired effect.

Honestly, I wouldn't even use a 3D effect to do this, I would just draw it.
You'll use; Snapping, Pen tool, Rectangle tool, Pathfinder > Divide, Object > Ungroup, Pathfinder > Unite, Knife tool, Object > Arrange > Bring to Front, Object > Arrange > Send to Back, and Group Select tool.
8067_ribbon2d.ai.zip

Vince

Return to posts index

John Ravi
on Oct 4, 2014 at 11:16:08 am

Looks promising.. many thanks Vincent!

You would agree that it'll be easy to create skeleton edges first for every ribbon face and cut accordingly to place along front or back layer positions.

I thought there was a working solution for this issue using 3d Extrude function as I wanted to create several ribbons intertwining with each other.

Thanks Vincent for showing interest!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]