FORUMS: list search recent posts

Saving an effect as a layer.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter gillies
Saving an effect as a layer.
on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:56:45 am

G'day. Does anyone know how I can save an effect as a layer. I have a black and white image that I apply the glow effect to in purple. This gives me an image with apurple an whie Thanks Peter

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Saving an effect as a layer.
on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:51:32 am

Try dragging the object into the Graphic Styles palette, then test it on another object.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

peter gillies
on Oct 2, 2014 at 8:45:14 am

G'day thanks for the reply. I'm a beginner at using this software so perhaps you could elaborate re the steps I need to take. And the effect i'm applying is actually 'Neon Glow". Thanks. Peter Gillies

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 2, 2014 at 1:56:50 pm

In the main menu, click Window > Graphic Styles to open the styles palette.
Then use the Direct Select tool, the arrow with the plus symbol, to drag your 'effected' object into the palette.
Any affects applied to the object are now saved as a set. The Graphic Styles palette is basically a bunch of buttons, so you can click on any object in your artboard, then click one of these style buttons to apply the affect.

Illustrator comes with a number of preset styles. Your file may or may not have default styles available, depending on how you created the file. If you create a new file from the main menu the default styles will be available.
You may have to double-click the Graphic Styles tab to see the contents of the palette.
Also, each palette has a toggle/drop down menu. In the Graphic Styles palette, near the bottom, you will see there is a library of additional graphic styles.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

peter gillies
on Oct 3, 2014 at 9:50:44 pm

G'day thanks for the reply. I have done that, and the 'effect' is now in the graphic styles palette.What do I have to do now? I can now turn the effect on and off. What I need to do is separate the 2 colors in the image into separate images so I can get it printed on t shirts. Thanks. Peter

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Oct 3, 2014 at 11:24:20 pm

Hmmm. So, you want to do a 2-color print. That sounds more like a job for Photoshop.
Sounds like you essentially need 2 monochrome plates - one holding the artwork for one color object, and than the other. Two black and white pieces of artwork so you can create screens. You can do it in Illustrator. You could have 2 files, or one file with 2 artboards - click the Document Setup button on the main menu.
Maybe something like this...
8068_2colorprintexample.ai.zip

Vince

Return to posts index

peter gillies
on Oct 6, 2014 at 7:09:17 am

G'day thanks for all you're help. I'm giving the job to a graphic artist to do. All the best. Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]