FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create your own Spineless Book!

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Tarrant
Create your own Spineless Book!
on Sep 6, 2014 at 9:13:45 pm

I have been trying to find a successful way of creating these 'Spineless Classics' to put around the house. I can't get text to fit inside a shape just on a line which is nowhere near the same.

Please give any input you have even if it's just problems you've faced in similar situations.

Return to posts index

Per Arne Sandvik
Re: Create your own Spineless Book!
on Sep 7, 2014 at 9:38:27 pm

This might be a really stupid way to do it, but I would attack this from the other direction.

Create a text box the size of your document and paste the text you want. Select the text box and go to Type > Area type options. Make sure width and heigh match your document size, and then add the number of columns you need to get the look you want.

Next, draw the shape you want the text to occupy. Then, draw a rectangle that covers the whole document. Select the rectangle and the shape you drew. Go to Window > Pathfider and click the button "minus back". You will be left with the negative space of your drawing.

Keep this negative shape selected and go to Object > Text wrap > Make. This will make the shape displace the type. Finally, Select the text box and adjust the font size to your liking.

The idea is to not place the type inside a shape, but to make a shape force the type to go where you want. There's probably a better way to do it, but it should work.

Return to posts index

Andrew Tarrant
on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:18:06 am

Thank you, something that's been bugging me for about a year and now a solution! I wish I'd posted here sooner.

Return to posts index

Per Arne Sandvik
on Sep 8, 2014 at 5:07:37 am

Glad to hear it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]