FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating hair (with strands)

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Quetant
Creating hair (with strands)
on Jul 26, 2014 at 5:21:58 pm

Hello there. I am trying to create vector hair with strands in illustrator but I seem to be having problems going about this. I have a base color & shape for the hair, I thought it would be easy to add strands once I had the base in, but that doesn't seem to help. I've looked up tutorials but have not come across anything helpful what soever. And I don't want to import into photoshop to complete the task, Any help from anyone here would be most appreciated! thank you in advance

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: Creating hair (with strands)
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:18:59 pm

Sorry if this is akin to "Is it plugged in?" but have you tried creating an art brush? If you're trying to create just one strand, make that a brush for consistency and have at it but it might be easier to think in terms of a 'chunk' of hair and then add strands for extra detail. Not that this is it, but create an irregular patch of black with some small holes indicating space between the hair then add a few strands of lighter grays etc and make that an art brush. So you paint/draw in the big shapes and go back with the previous 'strand' brush for detail. Does this make any sense or are you going, "yeah, that's what I've already done and it doesn't seem to be working!

Return to posts index

James Quetant
Re: Creating hair (with strands)
on Jul 31, 2014 at 10:09:52 pm

Hello Kelly! I just today started using an art brush. I actually don't want to create a single strand, but in stead a full head of hair. I want the strands to give it the depth & dimension that hair has. It's gets very frustrating, I've been at this for some days now & still don't feel comfortable with what I've created. I've tried using the gradient mesh tool with no success & several other methods. I do have them broken up into layers, so the dark tones are at the very bottom, then the mid tones on top of that & the highlights etc. I'll post a pic of my current situation…

I'm really frustrated with this, I really want it to come out but nothing I'm doing is working. I'm also a visual learner so I need to see & "get it" before I feel I can apply you know. Nonetheless, any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]