FORUMS: list search recent posts

Grand theft auto style drawing

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Quetant
Grand theft auto style drawing
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:07:06 am

I'm trying to create this style of drawing from photos I've taken with my camera & sketches. Can someone please kindly direct me to any step by step tutorials or anything that would assist me in achieving this look. I am very familiar and knowledgeable with the pen tool.
Thank you kindly in advance

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Grand theft auto style drawing
on Jul 17, 2014 at 12:38:10 am

James, James... double posting a question. tisk tisk.
Joking aside, I'm afraid you'll have to actually illustrate that, pen & ink style. Draw the structure, the black stuff. Then draw in the color.
You might start with laying down gesture (gesture drawing) strokes, so you have a skeleton.
I haven't used a pen in a long time, but I always manually drew variable width lines. So, every 1 ink stroke is basically 2 sides of a path, a closed path, and a fill.
Now, if you're looking for automation you'd likely want to start in Photoshop and do some preprocessing on the image before bringing it into AI, like Posterize or something. Try a google search for Photoshop Comic Action or something.
Then you can bring the posterized raster in to AI and auto trace, potentially.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

James Quetant
on Jul 17, 2014 at 2:17:41 am

Thank you for your response Vincent, I appreciate it. LOL I only double posted because I know this could be achieved in either program so I thought if someone in one thread couldn't assist then maybe in the other lol…

My problem I'm having is wrapping my mind around the more thicker lines. I know about the variable width tool inside of AI as well as the variable width options in the stroke panel but getting those super thick lines like that from the pen tool I'm not visualizing for some reason. Here's what I have from using the pen tool in AI

This looks nothing like what I originally posted…

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Jul 17, 2014 at 6:46:37 am
Last Edited By Vincent Rosati on Jul 17, 2014 at 7:02:43 am

You're half way there brother.
It looks to me like you created 4 filled shapes around the nose, as opposed to using the brushed strokes that are used elsewhere. Maybe it's just the two nostrils that are filled objects?

Anyway, the approach I always use is how you did the nostrils; or how you did they eyes and ear ring, using filled shapes, as opposed to strokes.
It's not the fastest way, but that is how I'd achieve the best control.

If you require more speed and really want to use strokes, maybe experiment with some brush presets in Window / Brushes.
There are a bunch of brush libraries in the Brush palette, just click the toggle menu on the top right. Than Open Brush Library...
Also, if you take this approach, I wouldn't always try to achieve the proper shape with just one stroke. You could use 2 or 3 strokes to build the thickness in certain areas.

The attached AI file shows these two approaches. The opacity is reduced to help show what's happening. The bright green areas are overlapping objects.

7758_penandink.ai.zip

In the left example, I'm basically starting with a pool of black, then drawing out to make lines.
I used the Pen tool and Pencil.

In the right example, I'm starting with a few different calligraphic brushes set to different angles, saved as custom brushes. It's basically 3 "strokes", but it's actually 6 strokes with a few fill shapes.
If you were actually doing pen & ink, this is how it would be done. Use single strokes where you can, but you'll often hit a line more than once to get the right shape and thickness. And also painting fills for the deep dark areas.
I used a few Brushes and the Pencil.

Either way, you can get pretty fast at this.

For techniques...
Get familiar with reshaping existing paths with the brush or pencil. Create an ellipse or square, than restroke one of the paths to reshape it.
Another one is a way to close paths. A lot of times you'll draw a fill and you want it to be properly closed. Just select the path object, switch to then draw from one endpoint to the other endpoint and it will close.
And most important, learn to keep your free hand on the keyboard so you can use shortcuts - Hitting the Spacebar so you can move the artboard, CMD - or + for zoom in and out. Force yourself to learn these. Many of the menu items have keyboard shortcuts, or sometimes hovering over items will reveal a shortcut. When you find yourself constantly going to one of these commands, that's how you'll know you need to learn that shortcut.

For more settings, particularly FIdelity and Smoothness, double click on the pencil or brush in the tools.

Here's something that might help inspire some ideas 7759_inspiration.zip

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

James Quetant
on Jul 17, 2014 at 5:39:08 pm

The top is the original photo I shot.Bottom is an example I found online

I think what's confusing me is the way they achieve the outlines. Like how would I go about it with the eyes for example, the mouth, shape of her face etc. without making it look bad? It sounds like such a simple task but i'm a visual person, I have to see it first then say ok I can do it lol.
But I'm going to try what you suggested Vincent & see what I come up with…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]