FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Opinions on Illustrator files

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leslie King
Need Opinions on Illustrator files
on Jul 6, 2014 at 4:11:48 pm

Hi Everyone
I designed a product package in Photoshop but the printer said they needed an Illustrator file with cut lines. So I hired a girl on freelancer.com to have my Photoshop package design converted to Illustrator. I don't know anything about AI but the "completed" files the girl sent me look terrible. Can anyone out there look at the original PSD files and the new AI files and tell me if I'm missing something or did she just do a really awful job? You can view all the files here... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/grgvq0w0p1sodpa/AABIKSN2N1OhS7SAdNqJfB5sa

Thanks!!!!!
Leslie

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Need Opinions on Illustrator files
on Jul 6, 2014 at 5:21:05 pm

Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for this?
I'll agree, the files don't appear to be of sufficient quality, but I don't know the specifics of your agreement.

-Make this into an Illustrator file
VS
-Create a print ready vector version of said artwork.

A few things you can do to help the illustrator would be to provide fonts and any vectors they might need, like your logo. Unless redesigning your logo was part of the agreement.
The illustrator merged the die line into the raster artwork, not sure why that was done.
There are a bunch of things I could note about the file. Do you get any more revisions?

There are many illustrators on this site. You can click on their name, go to their profile and see if you can contact them.
I suspect you would get better quality work from someone here, but obviously would have to pay significantly more.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
on Jul 7, 2014 at 5:56:16 pm

I reviewed the files, and like Vincent, I agree the AI files are not production ready.

QUICK NOTE: The work I do of this sort is aimed at cut and printed vinyl - perhaps the needs of the (presumably) cardboard vendor are a bit different.

Your vendor most likely only needs the cut lines to be in vector format - the graphic itself can be a raster layer (at 300+ dpi). So, I pulled a couple of steps between PS and AI and put together a sample of what your printer might need (only the card front). Check with them to see if it is what they wanted.

When I pulled your artwork into AI, some of the text got messed up, so I fixed “Shower Bottle Bands” [not perfectly the same, but very close]).

The rest of the document is acceptable (I think), except for one flaw that I can’t “quick fix”. That is a tiny gap is the artwork between the “Card Image” and the “1mm Cut Margin Image” – an artifact from your work.

So, here are the key elements of what I am putting up for you to see:
1) Mostly raster artwork directly from your PSD;
2) AI vector text for “Shower Bottle Bands”;
3) The “cut” path from your PSD, brought into AI in its correct place in the artwork and its own layer “Cut Line”. NOTE: this path has NO stroke or fill and is invisible unless you select it (direct selection tool [white arrow] or from the layers palate.

Hope this helps and is somewhat clear. :)

Shared on Google Drive: (File > Download)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8q7SZbZ6sVOTXNPZ3FmbnRZeFk/edit?usp=shari...

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 7, 2014 at 6:53:26 pm

I seems odd that the printers would need the package as an AI file, but the cutfiles make sense. I used to do both raster and vector for laser cutter/engravers and CNCs including setting up cutfiles, engravings, etc. plus tons of production work. I know how to do a die-cut (same principle, really), but wouldn't it have been easier to just leave the raster stuff in PS, then overlay the cutfile in AI on it's own layer with registration marks? You can simply place the original PS file in AI and then overlay the cutfile and export as single-layer files (include your registration marks, do the cutfile and raster stuff as separate layers and you will likely want to convert the raster stuff to CMYK, but ask the printer first). Remember to include the PS file when you send the AI file to the printer.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
on Jul 8, 2014 at 1:46:08 pm

[Jonathan Ziegler] "I seems odd that the printers would need the package as an AI file, but the cutfiles make sense."

Read my footer: I'm no expert. But the vinyl vendors that I work with use FlexiSign (one version or another) and can import an AI file, mark the proper paths as cut lines, then "Rip and Print" and/or "Cut/Plot" with no additional effort other than moving the vinyl from one machine to another (if they don't have an integrated printer/cutter) and machine specific settings.

The vinyl printer uses all of the information except for the cut line(s) to print the graphic; the cutter uses only the cut line(s) to cut out the vinyl for use.

Perhaps the OP's vendor uses a similar program.

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 8, 2014 at 4:44:08 pm

I can see that makes sense and wouldn't be inconsistent with other projects I've worked on. I would think the RIP would take either raster or vector, but, again, I've not worked with those specific types of projects so I'm just guessing. Though I'm not opposed. ;)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]