FORUMS: list search recent posts

a beginner's question about cutting an object out of background

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Kirkland
a beginner's question about cutting an object out of background
on Apr 10, 2014 at 4:26:44 am

I have no experience with illustrator, so please forgive if my question seems a little basic,

I created some pixel art in windows paint program. I pasted it into Illustrator and wish cut out an object away from the background. I tried the lasso tool, and direct selecting tools, as well as the scissors tool.

I had no success with any of them. Illustrator seems to treat the entire pasted image as one object.. The lasso tool doesn't seem to detect anything to be selected for instance.

I figured I would have to redraw the circumference of the object I wish to cut out in illustrator.
So I tried to use the line tool. I thought it would be easy enough... but it didn't work like I thought it would..

Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: a beginner's question about cutting an object out of background
on Apr 10, 2014 at 7:41:15 am

You could try a Clipping Mask.
Use the Rectangle tool and create a box, positioned half way over the image. Than select both objects and...
Object / Clipping Mask / Make.
This gives you the basic idea of how you might do it.

You could potentially make opacity masks, but that would probably be overkill in this case.

Depending on the type of pixel art, there might be other options...

If it's low rez 8-bit type stuff, you might be better off just recreating as vector, out of 1px blocks with snapping enabled.

Or if you don't need vector, just higher resolution, maybe you could just knock out your backgrounds in Photoshop. And if you need higher resolution, just increase the resolution from 72 to 720 using Nearest Neighbor interpolation.

This seems more like a Photoshop task. Do you really need AI for this?

Just some random thoughts.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Apr 10, 2014 at 4:04:35 pm

Hey there, if you are pasting or importing pixel art from a paint app, it's a raster image you are pasting (not vector). Illustrator handles the object as a single raster image inside its own (rectangular) path - no layers or anything.

Soooo, you can do it a couple ways: either bring it into photoshop, draw an outline path (need to use the paths tab) and export the path to illustrator, then import to illustrator OR redraw the path in illustrator over the top of the pasted image, then use the path as a clipping path and drop the image into the path.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Mark Kirkland
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:35:58 am

Hey I just wanted to say thanks to you guys for helpin me out... So Thanks!
I ended up cutting out the background in photoshop..
Saving early def. saved me some trouble too. good advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]