Hello, designing my first logo, and also pretty new to illustrator (I'm an after effects and C4D/Max user)
Im just wondering how to convert a line with a stroke into two lines to get something like this:
(the red crosses out the line that i drew, which I dont need, and the blue shows where I want lines) http://imgur.com/pbP1TLD
I am no Illustrator expert, but I know enough to get around. Here are the steps I take to get what you asked for, but someone else may a better/faster way.
1) Create your path and set the stroke you want. Make sure that you set the path to have no fill or extra objects will be created in the next step.
2) Make certain that only the stroke(s) you want to work on are selected and go to Object > Expand.
3) In the dialog box that opens, be sure that “Stroke” is selected (it should be by default) and click “OK”. Your path has now been converted into a group with one object – the outline of the path you created. Note: The “Fill” checkbox doesn’t matter if you had set no fill in step 1 – if your path has any fill other than none, Expand will create an object for the fill, also.
4) Swap the fill and stroke of your path (by clicking the double headed arrow in the juncture of the boxes in the tools panel) to make the final steps easier to see.
5) Change to the direct selection tool (the white arrow in the tools panel or keyboard A) and deselect everything (Select > Deselect or keyboard Shirt+Ctrl+A).
6) Click once on one of the closed ends that you want to get rid of and press keyboard Delete. Repeat for the other end that you want to go away.
At this point you will have two paths in a group that you can manipulate in any way you need.