FORUMS: list search recent posts

converting strokes to editable splines

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Murad
converting strokes to editable splines
on Mar 31, 2014 at 9:41:24 am

Hello, designing my first logo, and also pretty new to illustrator (I'm an after effects and C4D/Max user)

Im just wondering how to convert a line with a stroke into two lines to get something like this:
(the red crosses out the line that i drew, which I dont need, and the blue shows where I want lines)
http://imgur.com/pbP1TLD

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Crook Jr
Re: converting strokes to editable splines
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:03:21 pm

I am no Illustrator expert, but I know enough to get around. Here are the steps I take to get what you asked for, but someone else may a better/faster way.

1) Create your path and set the stroke you want. Make sure that you set the path to have no fill or extra objects will be created in the next step.

2) Make certain that only the stroke(s) you want to work on are selected and go to Object > Expand.

3) In the dialog box that opens, be sure that “Stroke” is selected (it should be by default) and click “OK”. Your path has now been converted into a group with one object – the outline of the path you created. Note: The “Fill” checkbox doesn’t matter if you had set no fill in step 1 – if your path has any fill other than none, Expand will create an object for the fill, also.

4) Swap the fill and stroke of your path (by clicking the double headed arrow in the juncture of the boxes in the tools panel) to make the final steps easier to see.

5) Change to the direct selection tool (the white arrow in the tools panel or keyboard A) and deselect everything (Select > Deselect or keyboard Shirt+Ctrl+A).

6) Click once on one of the closed ends that you want to get rid of and press keyboard Delete. Repeat for the other end that you want to go away.

At this point you will have two paths in a group that you can manipulate in any way you need.

Good luck! Steve

Steve Crook, Jr.
http://www.stevecrookjr.me

I am a simple creative professional that can get my Adobe suite and a few other creative tools to do what I want. Barely. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]