FORUMS: list search recent posts

File size TOO LARGE with placed images.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Kabbash
File size TOO LARGE with placed images.
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:09:52 am

I am running .AI CS6 on the latest Mac OS.
For some reason the past couple versions of .AI generate extremely large file sizes with un-embedded placed images.
My file is 250MB with very little vector and a handful of placed .PSD images. Is there a setting or a way to get the file size down to normal?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: File size TOO LARGE with placed images.
on Mar 27, 2014 at 9:23:16 pm

Check your Links palette to find verify that they are indeed placed.

Attempt 1:
File / Save As.
Not sure about the latest versions, but Illustrator files always kept containers for pasted or rasterized objects. Even if they are deleted the container remains and file size never reduces. Save As will delete the containers.

Attempt 2:
Do you need PDF preview? If not, uncheck Create PDF Compatible File while saving.

And make sure there are no stray points outside the artboard, or anywhere actually.

Just some initial thoughts.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Tom Kabbash
on Mar 28, 2014 at 4:40:13 pm

Awesome Vince!
The PDF compatibility was everything. From 181MB to 340KB!

Return to posts index

Brian Edwards
on Oct 16, 2014 at 7:29:10 am

I have CS6 and the file is 1.3 GB. The printer can't manage it at all.

Can you tell the specific steps? I saved it, and no window popped up with a check box to disable "PDF compatible file."

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Cory Fatula
on Feb 23, 2016 at 2:17:46 pm

I know this is old. But I arrived here just today so figured I'd update. You have to do a "Save As" in order to get the dialogue box again, if it's a document that already exists.

Shout-out to @Vincent Rosati for the info! Didn't even know about that and I've been using AI for years!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]