FORUMS: list search recent posts

Combining many paths into one path so After effects reads it as 1 mask

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Pierson
Combining many paths into one path so After effects reads it as 1 mask
on Dec 11, 2013 at 3:15:08 pm

Hello,

I have an image I have drawn in Flash/Illustrator with the pen tool (so all the lines are paths, no fills).

From Illustrator I want to copy the path, and paste it into After effects as a mask, with the goal to apply the stroke effect, and also have an image follow the same path at the same time.

However, when I bring it into after effects there are 30+ masks, as the paths I am copying from Illustrator interpret as lots of individual paths, rather then one whole mask/path.

I tired the 'join' command in Illustrator, but that creates lots of ugly straight lines all over my image. I also tried using unite command with 'pathfinder' but to the same result (lots of lines all over the place). Making a compound path does also not work, as After effects still sees the paths as lots of individual paths..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Combining many paths into one path so After effects reads it as 1 mask
on Jan 6, 2014 at 1:42:23 am

I think you almost had it with Pathfinder / Unite. You'd just need to Object / Expand before copying out of Illustrator.
Some versions of AI also have a command option, when you click the Unite button, that will automatically expand it. Don't remember which though.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]