FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphic specs for eventual youtube distribution

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rita Picard
Graphic specs for eventual youtube distribution
on Oct 12, 2013 at 2:40:32 am

Hi,
I have an existing SD video edited in FCP, 720 x 480 NTSC DV. A client has asked me to add to this and include a critical graphic frame of multiple logos which the client will supply in AI.
The final delivery is both as DVD and as a QT file to upload to YouTube.
No probs with the DVD but I think YouTube has different frame proportions - what dimensions should I ask for the AI file to be in so as to avoid any forbidden distortion in the multiple corporate logos contained in the graphic? Or would there even be any distortion?

Many thanks in advance.

Rita P.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Graphic specs for eventual youtube distribution
on Oct 12, 2013 at 7:52:50 pm

If you create the "frame" with the logos in Photoshop and save as a PNG, you shouldn't have any issues:

In Photoshop, create a new DV file:

File >> New : Select Preset: Film & Video, Size: NTSC DV or NTSC DV Widescreen (depending on your final), Height: 720, Width: 480, Res: 72, RGB, etc. Background should be transparent if you want to use this as an overlay and save as a PNG. Make sure Pixel Aspect Ratio is either 0.91 for regular NTSC DV or 1.21 for NTSC DV Widescreen (should auto-fill).

When the file loads, it will have guides for text and title safe already.

Now, import or place your graphics into the frame, save as PSD so you can edit later and then PNG for use with FCP. Remember, you can change to view square pixels so you can see what the final should look like (View >> Pixel Aspect Ratio >> Pick the one you are using).

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Rita Picard
on Oct 14, 2013 at 4:45:11 pm

Thanks so much Jonathan. That should work well to conform the 720 x 480 AI graphic to the SD video and I see I can tweak the overall size proportionately to stay inside the title-safe boundaries.

I'm still a little concerned about what will happen to the multiple logos when YouTube applies the "yt:stretch=4:3" to the 720 x 480, aka 3:2, video.
Will give it whirl and hope nothing appears distorted.

Appreciate your input. Thanks again.

Rita P.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:01:03 pm

Rita,

You could also convert your video to 16x9 square pixels - 854x480 (I think, not sure!) so you won't have to deal with it or uprez to 720 HD, do your editing, get it ready for final, then let your machine auto-down-rez to the correct aspect ratio for 480, 16x9 resolution. I've done both of these to avoid having YouTube play with the settings - they don't always get it right. If you decide to up- then down-rez, try using a decent intermediate codec like ProRES 422 for Mac or Cineform so you can preserve some quality from uprez to downrez. I've never liked the non-square pixel thing on the computer, I don't think it executes like old-school TVs used to. Computers like squares. ;)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Rita Picard
on Oct 14, 2013 at 5:53:23 pm

Thanks again Jonathan,
I neglected to think through the darn non-square pixels even though you warned me to fix the pixel aspect ratio in PS.
I'm fine with the project remaining in SD which will be a pillarboxed upload so I think going back to the question of what specs to give the client for the artwork they will supply, it looks like I may need to ask for a file that is 720 X 580 square pixels (aka 4:3) which then becomes 720 x 480 non-square pixels in the NTSC DV native size, but when YouTube fixes that non-square aspect ratio it will go back to it's original (and hopefully undistorted) shape. I think. Does that make sense?
Guess I have some experimenting to do with uploading circles to check for distortion. Can't wait to leave SD behind!

Rita P.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 14, 2013 at 6:27:11 pm

Yeah, sounds good. You can always upload the video, see how it works, then try again if it doesn't work. :)

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Oct 22, 2013 at 5:36:02 pm

Export the YouTube video as 640x480 with square pixels for an aspect ratio of 4:3.

The quality of your graphics might be impacted by rescaling. I have had more success exporting from AI at the desired resolution rather than rescaling in the NLE. It usually takes a few iterations to get the correct size, but 480x360 is probably a good place to start.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]