FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator Clipping Mask omitting layers

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cathy Hamilton
Illustrator Clipping Mask omitting layers
on Sep 30, 2013 at 5:41:18 am

Sorry, it's been a long struggle trying to find the answer to this one...

I have a complex scene created in Ai CS5 and trying to create a clipping mask to act as another scene - close up. So, I created a new layer at the very top of the layers panel, selected the desired clipping path area using a rectangle, selected ALL from the Select menu, effectively selecting everything on the artboard, Object, clipping mask, make, and VOILA!. The mask is missing many layers and sublayers.

Is there something I need to do with a complex artboard like this...too much information for Ai to complete task?

I tried to upload a file after posting this, but it went to another farm's pasture. I can provide file upon request.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Illustrator Clipping Mask omitting layers
on Sep 30, 2013 at 4:28:40 pm

I don't think you can do a clipping mask between layers. Also, the art needs to be fairly simple to put it into a clipping mask (groups are an issue, compound paths can be problematic, 3D stuff won't go, etc). I suggest flattening as much as possible (or copy, then paste in front, then flatten, then put into the clipping mask). Obviously, I can't see your artwork, so if the above doesn't help, please post your art.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Cathy Hamilton
on Sep 30, 2013 at 6:43:34 pm

I uploaded the file while trying to reply to the thread. It must have gone into another forum. The subject line is Re: Illustrator Clipping Mask omitting layers. Same subject title. Possibly different forum. I tried uploading three times to get it onto this thread with no success. I must be missing something here.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Sep 30, 2013 at 6:46:01 pm

When you upload, it should make a link for you in your uploaded files. Try zipping the file and uploading as a file (not an image) and see if that works.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Cathy Hamilton
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:05:07 pm

Thanks for the tip! Here's the link.6584_chamclippingmaskproblemfile.zip

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Sep 30, 2013 at 7:22:03 pm

Okay, I was able to get the mask to happen. First off, copy the mask on the top layer, switch to the bottom layer (View 1 Main) and paste in front so the clipping mask is on top of everything. Select everything in the file (or everything that will appear in the clipping mask) and group it. Make sure the group is selected and then select the clipping mask shape. Hit Cmd 7 (ctrl 7 on pc?) or go to Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Note: the clipping mask stroke and fill will be disappear so if you want to place a stroke or fill there, you will need to copy the mask shape and do a paste in front, too - group them together to get them to stay in sync.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Cathy Hamilton
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:36:07 pm

Thanks, Jonathan! Was my mistake making the clipping mask outside the main layer, even though it was first in the panel? I needed to include it in the main layer, but place it on top?

Return to posts index

Cathy Hamilton
on Sep 30, 2013 at 9:43:07 pm

I just tried placing the mask inside the main layer at top, grouped layers for mask, selected group, selected mask, object, clipping mask, make, and the flower pot, windows, door glass, and shrubbery are still missing. Do they show up for you?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Oct 1, 2013 at 3:53:16 pm

Yep it all shows. Try selecting everything (CMD-A or ctrl-A) in your layer except the clipping mask, group it, then select everything and the clipping mask to be (clipping mask must be on top) and make your clipping mask. Lose the top layer with the clipping mask, too - can't have a clipping mask on a different layer than the stuff that goes into it.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Cathy Hamilton
on Oct 1, 2013 at 8:31:35 pm

Thank you so much, Jonathan! That did the trick! It happened!

God bless!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]