FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pantone uncoated swatches look washed out

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Bitterman
Pantone uncoated swatches look washed out
on Aug 7, 2013 at 5:32:53 pm

I'm somewhat green on the print side of things. I understand that pantone coated vs uncoated are formulated for printing on coated or uncoated papers.

But what I'm not getting is, why do the uncoated color swatches in the illustrator color book look so washed out? The coated swatches look very vibrant. Is this just a visual approximation of how the colors will look after absorbed into uncoated paper? They just look so dramatically different, I can't really match a rich color I'm trying to reproduce with any of the uncoated swatches (for a projecct being printed on uncoated paper stock).

Any help is much appreacited!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Pantone uncoated swatches look washed out
on Aug 7, 2013 at 11:52:32 pm

Go to Pantone's site. They have additional color books.
I think you need to register.
Are you doing any print tests from your workstation?

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Pantone uncoated swatches look washed out
on Aug 8, 2013 at 5:27:27 pm

You are correct in a way: uncoated papers (bond paper, cardstock) absorb ink and tend to look a bit more washed out while coated papers allow the ink to sort of sit on the surface of the paper and are much more vibrant.

If the original color is on coated stock, try matching it to a similar coated swatch (if you have the coated swatches) and then look to the same PMS number in an uncoated swatch for an approximate match. If you have to use an uncoated paper (like bond paper or cardstock), can you first hit the paper with white? I would also talk to a printer and see if they have more info for you as their job usually revolves around these kinds of things.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]