FORUMS: list search recent posts

Reduce large 54 MB file for emailing

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Johnsen
Reduce large 54 MB file for emailing
on Jul 20, 2013 at 10:54:11 pm

I have an Illustrator file (I mostly work in PS6) of a poster that is 18" x 24". It has an image in one layer and all type in another. The type covers the poster completely. The image fills the whole size. It is Illustrator CS5.

Need to send it via email, but it is obviously too large - 54.3 MB. I tried outlining the fonts and flattening the image which is in CYMK and that seemed to make it larger. Tried PDF, but it only made it slightly smaller.

Also deselected the preserve - selected compression - unchecked create PDF compat & downsampling - in actions/deleted unused panel.

Tried to send the image separately, but it is too large.

Any suggestions as to what I missed or did wrong? Any ideas on how to significantly reduce the size of this file?

Thanks,

John

PS: I am aware of the cloud and up & download sites, but I would rather avoid that if there is a way to do it in Illustrator and it is for this one project.

Return to posts index

Jim Johnston
Re: Reduce large 54 MB file for emailing
on Jul 22, 2013 at 10:50:19 am

Have you tried the [Smallest File Size] preset in the PDF settings dialog? This one usually does too much of a good job by compressing the hell out of any pictures, but you can play about with the compression there to get your desired result.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
△ As Above | So Below ▽

Return to posts index

John Johnsen
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:08:33 pm

Tried the PDF with only 1mb of saving.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:03:39 pm

I was gonna suggest either the small PDF setting or, if you have InDesign, save the file in AI as a PDF-compatible file, then place it on a letter-size page for output. OR, try loading in in Photoshop as a much smaller doc (reduce from 300 dpi to 72). You can also try exporting as a JPG at 72 (or less) dpi.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

John Johnsen
on Jul 22, 2013 at 6:43:49 pm

Won't reducing the size (300 to 72) of the image affect print quality? It needs to fit a 18 x 24 print size.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jul 22, 2013 at 9:38:03 pm

I'll guess that you're trying to send it to a printer or something then. First, see if they have an FTP area you can send it to, that'll fix it right there: follow their directions and you may hav eto download a free FTP app. You can also leave a copy on Google Drive or a similar service. If you have a website, you can FTP it to your site and then send them a link. You can also use a cloud or other off-computer service.

If not, you have to reduce the file in Illustrator. Convert all of your fonts to outlines, expand whatever can be expanded, remove any tracing art or other images in the file that have nothing to do with the final image. Remove copies of things that are hidden in the background. Expand all of your blends, pathfinder stuff, rasterize any raster effects, etc. Vector files should be fairly small for the size unless you have a lot of 3D or effects that take a long time to render, I suspect you have some things in the file you don't need. You can also flatten art on a layer by layer basis or even bring all layers together in one layer and flatten.

If you don't have illustrator, load it in photoshop at the source size (18x24) at 300dpi limited to the artboard, but if you need bleed, leave some space for bleed. Save as a PSD file first - It'll be really big. Flatten whatever can be flattened and save as a CMYK TIFF with compression but NO LAYERS. Re-open the Photoshop file and convert to RGB and save as a JPEG with max quality (12). Those are the basics, you should be able to get a version or 2 that's the right size. If not, try FTP or another large file archiving and access system.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]