FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pantone Color Inquiry

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carolyne Anthony
Pantone Color Inquiry
on Jul 19, 2013 at 4:18:29 pm

Hello anyone and everyone,

I have sort of a general question regarding pantone colors. I was told to create a piece using specific colors- these were the specifications I was given:

RGB colors (exact) for logo
Pantone 2945 C – R 0 G 84 B 160
Pantone 3005 C – R 0 G 132 B 201
Pantone 368 C – R 91 G 191 B 33
Pantone 425 C – R 96 G 96 B 91

I am working in Adobe Illustrator CS6. I have tried looking up the pantone library- there are so many different kinds (coated, uncoated, cmyk coated, etc.) This piece is for broadcast tv and for web. Could someone please explain to me the difference between the different pantones in the library, how to look up a specific color, and what these specifications mean up above? Does anyone know what's best for web or tv?

Please excuse my ignorance, I would really like to learn (I am a beginning designer/animator)

Thanks!

-Caroline A.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Pantone Color Inquiry
on Jul 20, 2013 at 2:34:19 pm

Well, without going into too much detail, Pantone colors are about the same whether coated (C) or uncoated (U). Oddly, it refers to the type paper used - coated means the glossy, shiny paper used for magazine covers or posters and uncoated is sort of like regular bond or copy paper.

I use coated for my RGB stuff because coated paper does NOT absorb ink and the color stays on top and more vibrant while uncoated paper will absorb the ink and produce slightly muted tones. Also, most Pantone colors will simply not reproduce with RGB or even CMYK colors. You'll get close, but that's it. Since you already have the RGB values, you may try switching to the Adobe 1998 or another "wide-gamut" RGB space in photoshop before saving out as JPEG or PNG, but make sure to test on a variety of monitors since colors can shift widely from monitor to monitor.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]