FORUMS: list search recent posts

Coverting a monochromatic photo into a linear grid.

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Johnston
Coverting a monochromatic photo into a linear grid.
on Jul 17, 2013 at 9:45:19 am

Hi all,
I'm interested in creating this effect and assume it is a vector based technique so hopefully this has been posted in the right group.

As you can see (if you look at full screen) the monochromatic photo has been translated into a repetition of radial lines with varying thickness to convey the tonality of the original photo. Anyone know the name of this technique?

Cheers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
△ As Above | So Below ▽

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Coverting a monochromatic photo into a linear grid.
on Jul 18, 2013 at 4:38:48 pm

I would likely just call it a radial line screen for printing. They lay a clear sheet (say, on acetate) with the radial lines printed on it over a regular grayscale photo, then rephotograph the art (for offset lithography for example) and you have this effect. This is the same process used to add the halftone "dots" for line screen used in offset printing for, say, newspapers, though you no longer need to rephotograph anything anymore, you just use Photoshop and it takes a few seconds and you don't have to develop anything.

To do this technique, you create the radial line screen - it's likely an "artsy" line screen so you would make a series of thin radial lines of 1/4-1/2 pt each, spaced so you have about 50-60 per inch and make them black. Put these lines into photoshop over your photo. You can use filters and such to make it work. I suspect this technique works better with images that are generally a neutral grey.

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]