FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't use the control key as a shortcut on Mac

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
Can't use the control key as a shortcut on Mac
on Jun 17, 2013 at 10:55:39 am

Just wondered if anyone knows why Adobe have deemed it impossible to use the control key for shortcuts on a Mac. The first thing I always want to do with Illustrator is set a keyboard shortcut to hide it. by default, there is (ridiculously) no shortcut for this; presumably the arrogant Illustrator team thought "why would anyone want to hide this wonderful application?".

Command H is already mapped to 'hide edges', so the logical choice is to use ctrl-command-H, like After Effects and Photoshop. But there's no way of mapping anything to the control key. Does anyone know why? It seems really silly. But then Illustrator is a very silly program.

Maybe this will be fixed later today when Illustrator CC comes out...I won't hold my breath!

- Paul

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Can't use the control key as a shortcut on Mac
on Jun 18, 2013 at 2:40:08 pm

The Control key on the mac is sort of like an extra function key (like the Control-click). It's got a specific use. Try option instead of control. On the Mac, they basically replaced the PC "control" key with the Command/Apple key (for example, copy on the PC is Control-C and is Command-C on the Mac) and the Option key even says "Alt" on it. I suspect its now a bit of a sacred cow - the choice, I suspect, was to make the Mac experience different from the PC so they changed the words and the Apple/Command and Option/Alt keys were born. Interesting: some UNIX functions on the Mac require using the Control key - control-C, X, Z, etc. If you replace a Mac keyboard with a windows keyboard, the Windows key becomes the Command/Apple key and Alt becomes Option.

Incidentally, I'm sure you've seen this, but you can hide Illustrator by going to Illustrator >> Hide Illustrator. Maybe a script?

Save early. Save often.

Jonathan Ziegler

http://www.electrictiger.com
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Can't use the control key as a shortcut on Mac
on Jun 28, 2013 at 12:33:30 pm

I agree with you would be nice to have Ctrl an assignable key command, especially since most of the key commands are used up and really not much is left.

I deassign most all of the F commands the mac sues for monitor brightness and such, so I can use them for important stuff to me like F1 = merge colors, F2 = print, save, save pdf to desktop.
not wanting Adobe to sue those keys Adobe not to use those keys. Though I hear and understand your frustration, Apple needs to take leadership on some issues to have a stable system.

My best suggestion is to use another key for that, or one of the apple key command like Command tab to cycle through open apps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]