FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bounding box is way too big and not centered. Don't see any blue dots around image (path? control points?) I'm new..

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Boone
Bounding box is way too big and not centered. Don't see any blue dots around image (path? control points?) I'm new..
on Mar 12, 2013 at 4:35:31 am

Hi all,

I've done 1 project on AE, and I use Lightroom, but I'm pretty much new to Illustrator and Photoshop except some basics from a class 10 years ago..

I have a superhero video I made for a summer camp I work at. I want to make a cartoon but can't draw, so I've taken a still image of the character in the video, opened it in photoshop where I cut it out from the background. I saved as TIFF with transparancy, and opened the TIFF in Illustrator where I've used image trace to cartoonize it..

The bounding box around my superhero image is way too big. I want it to shrink to the edges of my character. I've tried Transform -> reset bounding box, but nothing happened. Is there a way to auto shrink this to my image? Would I have to do something in Photoshop to get what I want?

Also, I don't know what its called.. but there's no dots on the edges of my image, that I saw in PS when I magic lasso'd around it. Blue dots, which are some kind of control points? Is this a path? Probably important? I'm using Adobe CS6 Creative Cloud

Help!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Don Lunnemann
Re: Bounding box is way too big and not centered. Don't see any blue dots around image (path? control points?) I'm new..
on Mar 14, 2013 at 3:11:33 pm

As far as the blue box with the control points, try hitting Ctrl H or going to the VIEW menu and go down to Hide/Show Edges. That might be set to hide Edges.

Return to posts index

Paul Boone
Re: Bounding box is way too big and not centered. Don't see any blue dots around image (path? control points?) I'm new..
on Mar 15, 2013 at 10:40:10 pm

Hi Don,

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately it was already set to "show edges"

It looks like illustrator is recognizing the entire frame I exported from PS (tif file with transparency) as an image that stretches edge to edge. I got it to recognize transparency, and now I want to isolate just the person, from the entire frame.

I've done image tracing, which, from searching online, sounds like its how to do what I want, but.. I don't know.. I want to keep the "cartoon" version that image tracing created, though.

I'm uploading an image of what my screen looks like:

I'm watching a tutorial on 2d animation that shows what I want. The screenshot below shows just the hand isolated from the body, and there's different layers for all the parts. This is my final goal for the character, so I can bring it into AE and animate it, but to start, I'm just trying to get the whole person on 1 layer. The blue dots around the hand, and the blue square bounding box around it. Why is the box around my image red?

Return to posts index

Don Lunnemann
on Mar 18, 2013 at 3:36:28 pm

Yeah, if you Live Trace the image and then hit Expand and maybe Ungroup it should break it into individual pieces. You may want to then view it in outlines (CNTL Y) to see if there are any misc. boxes or other items left over from the image that you do not want.

Before you hit Expand you can go in and adjust how detailed you want Live Trace to make your vector image. If you are looking to animate the individual body parts you may still have some work on the resulting vector slicing it up into its individual parts.

It might have been just as easy to just do it all in PS. You could just outline each individual body part copy and paste it into a new file and save each body part as a sepparate Ps/PNG file and the import each of those into After Effects... unless you are going to enlarge any of the body parts a lot, then I would do it through AI.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]