FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dissapearing Objects out of bounding box

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jade Maxwell
Dissapearing Objects out of bounding box
on Jan 22, 2013 at 8:05:46 pm

Hi!

I'm trying to edit this PDF in Illustrator by expanding the information into two pages rather than 1. Moving the objects in the artboard is simple enough, but when I move it out of the original bounding box, it disappears under what I'm assuming a mask.

How do I make it so I can drag stuff out of the original document without it disappearing?

Thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Dissapearing Objects out of bounding box
on Jan 25, 2013 at 2:39:51 am

I'm not sure we have enough info to say exactly what's happening here, but speaking to your suspicion, isolating components from complex illustrations can be difficult and time consuming.

I'm sure there are dozens of approaches to this, but I'd start with three:
  1. Object > Ungroup
  2. Object > Compound Path > Release
  3. Group Select Tool

These might be the only functions that you'll need, but it would be difficult to say what possible combination you might need to use.

Ungroup and Release is a peeling away approach. You keep peeling away until your desired element breaks, than Ctrl+Z one time.
Using the Group Select Tool is more of a pin pointed approach. You may have to Shift / Select multiple objects as you Copy / Paste.

It's a good idea to learn the keyboard shortcuts for these exercises, they are right next to the items in the menu. It makes the process much faster.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
Re: Dissapearing Objects out of bounding box
on Jan 27, 2013 at 10:52:47 am

You are editing items that are enclosed in a 'clipping path'. What this means is that the top element in the group acts as a mask, cutting off/hiding everything outside of this shape.

Flattened and reimported PDF files use these on just about every objectlayer in the artwork.

You can recognize clipping paths in your layers panel as they are almost always the top object of the masked group, and their names are underlined. Moving an object out of it's group (in the layers menu) will effectively stop the mask to affect them. Alternatively you can release the clipping mask by selecting the group affected, and selecting 'object'->'clipping paths'->'release clipping paths' (or alt+7).

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]