FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to invert mask in Illustrator (equivalent of AE's add/subtract)?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake Huddleston
How to invert mask in Illustrator (equivalent of AE's add/subtract)?
on Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10:16 pm

Hi there. I am working in Illustrator after having worked in After Effects on motion graphics for a while and I'm trying to figure out a similar effect. When you create a mask in After Effects, you can go to that mask and choose to add/subtract it, which will invert it. Therefore, if the mask is set to 'add' the area inside of the mask will be hidden. However, when it is set to 'subtract', the inside of the mask becomes visible while the outside becomes hidden. I am trying to do this with a closed shape I made with the pen tool in Illustrator. What is the equivalent effect within Illustrator? Thanks!

Jake Huddleston

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
Re: How to invert mask in Illustrator (equivalent of AE's add/subtract)?
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:59:12 pm

Instead of using the clipping mask command use the transparency panel and use black and white shapes.
You are going to need an outer shape that cover your original mask, in order to invert it.

It's more steps, but as far as I know that's the only way available in Illustrator.

Return to posts index

Thie Thomsen
on Jan 27, 2013 at 11:03:34 am

Indeed, opacity masks are what you are looking for here.

You can create one by selecting the objects you want to be affected by the mask, and the object which will do the masking (In this case, black will represent transparent/masked areas, white/transparent will represent opaque areas) on top.

Then select 'make opacity mask' from the pull down menu of the transparency window, and turn off 'invert' and 'clipping'.

---
I can see your spot colours...

Return to posts index

Matt Carroll
on Aug 8, 2015 at 8:07:52 pm

Thank you. Thank you. 1000000000 times thank you. #projectsaver!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]