FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I make this?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Stewart
How do I make this?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:46:12 am

Hi.

I saw this logo and I would like to know how it was made. I can't figure out how to make vectors wrap around 3D objects like this. Was it made in a different programme maybe? I am quite used to working in illustrator but its possible there is something I am missing. Please advise.

Many thanks,

Jack

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: How do I make this?
on Jan 8, 2013 at 3:23:09 pm

well the only way i can figure you could pull this off in illustrator is with 3d revolve object as a starting point. i did a quick test. here is what i found. if i made a half circle open path... then i used Object/Path/Add Anchor Points. then i used effect/3d/revolve. the number of anchor point along your path determines the number of paths created along the sphere. i then expanded this and started to rip into the parts. after that it would be a lot of manual labor of organizing stuff and getting the pieces you need.

the only thing i couldn't figured out is how to adjust the number of spans along revolve. i would look at some tuts and see if you can adjust it...

Ty

Return to posts index

Jack Stewart
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:08:31 pm

Hey thanks for the helpful reply. I have had a go at this and it turned out fruitless for what I needed but I do think this is heading in the right route. I'm just not sure if the designer of my example of logo even used illustrator. Maybe he did it in a 3D package and then used a sketch and toon style render to create the effect of it looking like a bunch of vectors. Maybe he did it in Cinema4D. Anyway... Here is my attempt at making the circle following your instructions. I can see what you meant by it being a lot of manual labor in getting the correct paths out.

Thanks for you help,
Jack

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Jan 9, 2013 at 3:15:24 pm

I see what you are trying to get at.. I have even tried doing that same thing... but trust me that will only cause a boat load of issues and result in a strange shapes. usually I use maya to make wireframe render so i can redraw the polygons in illustrator. sense you don't have a 3d app, do a google search for wireframe sphere. a couple of the images I found look like they will give you the right angle you need to recreate the squares.

good luck.

Ty

Return to posts index

Per Arne Sandvik
on Apr 25, 2013 at 4:20:05 pm

If you're still looking for an answer, it's actually really easy if you use the "map art" function.

http://designorati.com/articles/t1/illustration/919/how-to-mapping-artwork-...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]