FORUMS: list search recent posts

frustrated beginner: working with a color document

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
frustrated beginner: working with a color document
on Oct 26, 2012 at 11:42:19 am

I am running Illustrator CS5 on a Mac.
I rarely delve into ilustrator, but this time I need to create a logo for a video, and it needs to be vector based.
So I have made the logo to my liking, and it is comprised of a couple groups of objects, which inside them have a series of layers and one layer. When I try to choose a color for the layers, all I get are variations of black, grey, etc... where do I define the color mode of the file? I came to this image by Live Tracing a drawing, using Black & White mode to trace: is this the problem?
It is as if the pallete of the document is Black and WHite, plus some shades of baby-green...?

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: frustrated beginner: working with a color document
on Oct 26, 2012 at 11:01:33 pm

This happens some times, it's easy to fix. Go to the window menu at the top of the program. Make sure there is a check box next to the color palette. Now go and find the color palette. In the upper right corner of the color palette there is a arrow button. In that menu you need to select RGB. sense the logo is for broadcast. This will unlock the r,g,b color sliders in this palette. If this solves your problems please check it as a solution.

Ty

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:17:28 pm

Ty, thanks for the reply!
I don't think it solved, because I can't seem to color any objects... Below is an image of how my palettes are now. Have any clue?
This happens whenever I open a PSD file in BW which I Live Trace (B&W).

Also, while we are at it, how can I get more detail when tracing a bitmap image? I have fiddled with all teh Live Trace settings, but none seem to give me more detail... does my original image have to be super hirez? Mine is 2000x2000, roughly.

I appreciate your input, much needed!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Oct 31, 2012 at 5:23:53 pm

sorry for my slow response network issues at work.

It still doesn't look like you have the color palette open from this screen grab. What you have open in your screen grab is the Color guide... not the same thing as the color palette. the easiest and fastest way to bring it up is the keyboard short cut. which is F6. again review what i posted before. this is for cs 5.5 not sure if the F6 keyboard shortcut is the same for cs6.

as for live trace always making the color palette black and white... it only does that if you select the 1 or two color logo live trace preset. also i don't know how your have your live trace setting. i normal just use a preset myself.

As for the size...i did some testing and found that the higher the dpi of your source image the cleaner the trace... but remember... if you just change the dpi on a really small image it may not make a huge difference.. as the saying goes ... crap in, crap out...

Ty

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]