FORUMS: list search recent posts

Light foreground color with dark background shows white border in printing

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bobby Crier
Light foreground color with dark background shows white border in printing
on Oct 14, 2012 at 6:51:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I am designing a business card. Two images are attached. It has a grey background with some text in yellow. The problem is that if I print it on a laser printer I see a white border around the yellow text. But if I print it on an inkjet printer the border does not show (as it should not). I believe the white border is due antiliasing around the yellow color curves (see images) Questions:

1. How to get rid of white border?
2. If I print these cards through offset process will the white border still show? (I think I may not, just like with the inkjet printers)
3. What is causing this border? If I change the design to have yellow background and white text, the white border is not detectable.

Thanks,
Bobby

Bobby
Newbie Creative Professional

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
Re: Light foreground color with dark background shows white border in printing
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:23:37 am

Ah, color separations! Joy! Here's what's happening: the printers yellow is not perfectly aligned with the rest of the colors. What you are seeing is the paper showing where one set of colors failed to print. This is easier to see in screen printing where you print whole colors versus process colors which is what your printer is printing.

How to fix it. Hopefully. Add a 1/4 pt stroke to the letters and set the stroke to overprint. Try a test print. If the line is still there, increase the stroke by another 1/4 stroke. Rinse. Repeat up to 1point. If its not going away at all, try rasterizing or convert to a PDF and try printing again. You can also add a 1/4 pt stroke to the letters, convert the path to a shape, ungroup from the letters, make it the same color as the background, and send it back one behind the type and set the letters to overprint. May need to set the stroke to overprint, too.

Let me know how it works! :)

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]