FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't do a simple text wrap around an object CS6

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rojas
Can't do a simple text wrap around an object CS6
on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:46:11 pm

Hello All!
I can't figure out how to do a simple text wrap around an object. I've already seen online tutorials and I think I've done everything I can to accomplish this and it just won't work. Let me show you what is happening.

I want the orange text to wrap around the sides of the green banner without touching it:

So the first thing I did was start by using the pen tool to create an object around the green banner (I planned to delete the object once the text wrapped around it):

When I'm done connecting the points, I right-click the object and select "Make Compound Path"

Resulting in this:

I made sure both the text and object layers were arranged in the front and the text layer was OVER the object layer:

I did Object > Text Wrap > Make

I click 'Okay'

And instead of the text wrapping around the object, I get this:

What am I doing wrong? Thanks CreativeCOW Community!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: Can't do a simple text wrap around an object CS6
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:19:27 pm

I just want you to check a couple things.

1. is the Shape and the Text in the same layer?

2. is the Type feild a box or just a line. THIS IS KEY... it must be a box.

this is the step that hung me up. select the Type tool.. click and drag out a box. then click inside of it and add your type.

it looks like you got everything else right. BTW i did this in cs5. if it still doesn't work.. then i would say it is a cs6 issue.

TY

Return to posts index

David Rojas
on Aug 28, 2012 at 1:45:00 pm

Thanks for the response. To answer your concerns:

1. No, the shape and text are on two separate layers. If I need to join the layers, I wouldn't know how to, other than grouping the layers, but I don't think that's what you need me to do.

2. The type is a field. However, I tried it as a box as well and it will not work the same. I dragged out into a box and typed inside the box - same issue. I also tried selecting it in a way where I could only see a box and no lines under the text, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Just so you also know, the Text Wrap Options offset is set to 6 pt, which seems to be plenty.

Hope you can still help me on this. I really need this taken care of. I'm still trying everything and just can't get it to work. Appreciate the help!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Aug 28, 2012 at 2:34:07 pm

here is how you get the two objects into one layer.

1. in illustrator go to windows/Layers.

once the layer panel is up. click on the small arrows next to the layers.. this expands the layers so you can see what elements are inside of it. just like Photoshop at the bottom of this panel are buttons. one is a button for new layer.

2. click new layer button

3. on the shape layer you created, click and drag the shape into the new layer you created. this is all done in the layers panel. repeat this for the type field.

4. now you should have both the type feild and the shape in one layer. make sure the shape layer is on top of the type field in terms of layer order.

5. select the shape layer and go to Object/Text Wrap. BAM.. you should have your type wrapping around the shape.

Return to posts index

David Rojas
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:16:07 pm

Tylor!
Thanks for the help. We got it to work! Them being on the same layers might have been part of the issue - thank you for showing me how to do that.

The main thing you helped with is saying "Select the object". This entire time I had been selecting both the object and text to do the text wrap, so I think both layers were deflecting off each other and thus wouldn't budge at all.

Really appreciate the help! Finally, I can finish this flyer!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Aug 28, 2012 at 4:50:06 pm

No Problem always glad to help. please check it off as Answered and liking it would be really nice.

Ty

Return to posts index

Melanie Mitchell
on Aug 21, 2013 at 2:28:17 pm

I am having the same problem with CS6. I've tried an area text box, just dragging the type tool to make a box. I'm trying to get an image (well, first it was a grouped object, then I exported it into an image) It will NOT let me wrap my text around the other object. I followed about a gazillion tutorials (which all are about the same, with minor variations). I followed those variations. I even followed this thread and put both objects into a layer, shape/image on top. It's just not working. Help. Please. And a huge thank you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]