FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need assistance with simple operation in Adobe Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Miller
Need assistance with simple operation in Adobe Illustrator
on Aug 14, 2012 at 8:49:07 pm

Using Adobe Illustrator 10 for Win 98 (I'm poor)

I am making a logo for a charity

What I want to do is:

1. Create a black circle (not filled, just the path)
2. Have a word on top (in this case, International) follow the path of the curve.
3. Have the words "Awareness Fund" on the bottom right-side up

Here is the problem.
1. I can make the path for the circle but I cannot make it any given color, it just disappears when I click off of it. How do I do this?
2. I can get the word on the top to follow the curve, but I cannot break out of it.. I don't know the term. I cannot get the text tool to 'let go' of the previous word and start new ones.
3. When I try to put the words "Awareness Fund" on the bottom not only do I have the problem that it is still attached to the first word on top but the letters are upside down.. how do I convert them to be right-side up?

Thanks in Advance.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Need assistance with simple operation in Adobe Illustrator
on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:06:37 am

Once you've converted a path to a type path it can no longer have fills or strokes. The strokes and fills will be applied only to the live text.

For something like this I'd...

Create 2 new layer in the Layers palette, for a total of three layers.
Create a circle in the bottom layer.
Copy, Paste in Front, than move this new circle onto a new layer.
Copy, Paste in Front, than move this third circle onto the top layer.

The bottom layer will be your color.
The second layer will be your lower text.
The top layer will be your upper text.

You can lock the top text layer so you can easily select the text in the second layer.

To flip any text that is on a path (text created with the Type on Path Tool), with the text layer selected, select either the Direct Select or Group Select tool from the tools palette. This will expose 3 handlebars - left, right, and center.
You'll want to manipulate the center bar. You can use this to change the center point, or to flip the text to the other side of the path - which I think is what you want to do.

Then you can also adjust your tracking and baseline shift, if needed, in the Character palette.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]