FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to add screens to illustration??

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
lou marie
how to add screens to illustration??
on Aug 9, 2012 at 3:45:12 pm

I'm designing a wedding invite using thermography print. This has to be done using one colour. I've been asked to use screens to make different shades of the colour. Can anyone explain to me what using 'screens' involves? Do I just use different capacity of the colour?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: how to add screens to illustration??
on Aug 21, 2012 at 12:18:59 am

I've heard the term used in two ways...

One would refer to using a Pantone or otherwise spot color (Window / Swatches / (Click the drop-down arrow) Open Swatch Library / Color Books / Pantone Solid Coated or whatever).
They you'd pick one color swatch. You'd use that color swatch to color everything in your art. Then you would set the different color values for your components using the slider in the Color palette.
When using spot colors, printers are able to create a single plate that can print one color ink that will be screened to different values.

Another, more involved, way would be to use screen patterns, (Window / Swatches / (Click the drop-down arrow) Open Swatch Library / Patterns / Basic... / Dots, Lines or whatever.
Then you would use these patters to effectively build your own screens. This can be time consuming. It's potentially a much more involved process, but you would have total control.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]