FORUMS: list search recent posts

Text not editable when opening a .PSD in Illustrator

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Steffler
Text not editable when opening a .PSD in Illustrator
on May 11, 2012 at 7:27:04 pm

Hi, I have a PSD file in Photoshop with a bunch of text in it. When I open the PSD in Illustrator (Convert Layers to Objects is chosen), some of the text (the 24pt Arial) is editable, and other text (34pt Arial, some Tahoma, and a couple of other fonts) are not editable.

This is for the packaging of a product, and the printers in China need to have the font outlines in the AI file they use. I have been trying to get all the fonts in the PSD to be editable as a first step, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

There is a warning when I save the PSD as an AI in Illustrator that "only fonts with appropriate permission bits will be embedded" but I don't know why some Arial would be editable and some not.

Return to posts index

Scott Roberts
Re: Text not editable when opening a .PSD in Illustrator
on May 13, 2012 at 10:21:15 pm

That function is probably wishful thinking. If you're running into issues like you are, finalize typesetting in Photoshop and don't rely on this special function. Whenever you're dealing with a printer, make your file simple and easy so there are no issues in pre-production.

LittleBlackBird.net

Return to posts index

Mike Steffler
on May 14, 2012 at 1:05:54 pm

What function is "wishful thinking"? It's not wishful thinking to want to edit text from a PSD in Illustrator, it's supposed to be that way. I can create a PSD with just some text in it and open it in Illustrator, and all the text is editable. I don't understand what "special function" you're talking about.

My file for the printer was simple. They need an AI file. They got one. Now they are coming back and saying they need the font outlines for all the fonts in it. It ain't me that's making it unsimple. :|

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on May 15, 2012 at 12:11:34 am

Will the printing service be editing the file? Can you just flatten the PSD as a TIF, or save the file as a Photoshop PDF?
It doesn't seem typical, that they would want an AI file over something more portable than TIF or PDF.

Is it possible that the problem fonts are different versions than the ones that you have installed on your system?
What happens when you try to edit the problem text in Photoshop? It sounds like you haven't fully tested them yet?

Based on your 'permission bits' note, I'd guess that the font's simply can't be embedded due to a licensing restriction.
But, since your goal is to outline the text, this shouldn't be an issue. Your goal is to not embed the fonts. In AI, just make sure all layers are unlocked, select all, and object/expand.

ps - I think Scott was just trying to help. We all do this because we just want to help. You may have read into his words a little too much. We're mostly pretty easygoing here, just to give you some background, since it looks like you're new here.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Tova Sapir
on Jan 24, 2013 at 6:03:56 pm

Hey Vincent,

I realize this is almost a year old, but I just wanted to post that I understand what Mike is saying and his frustration with the response he received.

I am having the same issue right now:
I created a project in PSD because of certain capabilities that are specific to PSD, but in order to print it, I need it in AI format. Due to the nature of the printing machines we are using, the text has to be editable in AI format but, even after making the photoshop file as simple as possible, not all the text is editable. I have used two fonts - one that AI is reading and one that it is not. However, even though it is reading one of the fonts, not all of the text boxes that contain that particular font are being read by AI. I have the same exact text in the exact same text boxes multiple times on the artboard, and yet AI is only reading one of the text boxes. It is incredibly frustrating and no matter what settings I change or what I move around, it will either read only one text box or none of them at all.

If you have any advice, I would love to hear it. :)

Return to posts index

Mike Steffler
on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:03:57 pm

For the record, I found no good solution, I just altered my methods and did the Photoshop stuff without text, and just added 100% of the text later in Illustrator. :(

Return to posts index

Tova Sapir
on Feb 3, 2013 at 3:43:58 am

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing, too. It seems like the only way to get it to work. But that doesn't make sense. There should be a way to troubleshoot this issue and get it to work, right?

Return to posts index

Mike Surber
on Sep 18, 2013 at 9:27:37 pm

I think I've found a solution! In my situation, I have about 8 text layers. 2 of them have some heavy effects applied (glow, gradient, etc). All these as well as all the clean text layers BELOW the effected layers were flattened into the background image. After moving them above the effects layers then opening in AI they were editable! I don't imagine that editing the text layers that had effects applied is possible, but at least I got the rest. Hope this helps somebody!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]