FORUMS: list search recent posts

Preferences not responding. Incredibly frustrating

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Paterson
Preferences not responding. Incredibly frustrating
on Apr 5, 2012 at 7:45:11 pm

I'm having a hair-pulling problem with Illustrator that seems to defy logic. 2 things-

1) My 'keyboard increment' preference is simply not responding to values lower than 1pt. If I go over 1pt it's fine, but if I set it to say '.01pt' it will just keep incrementing by 1pt. I've tried turning off all of the "snap to" settings, I reset the preferences, I even tried deleting the preferences file- nothing works.

2) There seems to be a minimum distance I need to drag things before they will actually move. For instance if I drag an object only a few pixels it will snap back into it's old spot.

Can someone please tell me WHY?!?! So frustrating... I'm going to try re-installing now. Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: Preferences not responding. Incredibly frustrating
on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:28:45 pm

not sure if this will solve your problem completely... but you could reset your illustrator preference file. Some times Preference files get corrupt. i just set my keyboard increments to 0.0139 and check it against a box that was 0.0139x0.0139 and it lined up when i moved it.. i really think trashing your prefs should help.. also make sure smart guides and all snapping is off... which i understand you have checked... but if you trash your prefs and restart illustrator snapping will be back on by default.

link below for trashing prefs..

http://www.illustratorhints.com/2010/05/delete-preferences-file/

Good luck... please let me know if this works for you.

Return to posts index

Ryan Paterson
on Apr 9, 2012 at 10:03:01 pm

Ya as I mentioned I had already tried that. I re-installed Illustrator and it fixed the problem so, not really sure what the heck was wrong there but it's all fixed up. Thanks anyway!

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:57:53 pm

Ryan,
some times a system can have multiple pref files for a single application. Like if you upgrade from cs1 to cs3. Maya does that a lot when you upgrade it. i can't remember if adobes stuff does or not. sorry you had to re-install... that is really annoying. best of luck

TY

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]