FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logo submission standard specs - contest in the AM

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thoreau Bakker
Logo submission standard specs - contest in the AM
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:41:19 am

hi guys!

I'm in a logo contest at school, and the deadline is in the morning.

I'm used to working with 300dpi and inches in Photoshop, but not so familiar with vectors and such.

What is the standard / best way to set up my canvas / submit my work.. Do I make the canvas in inches, or pixels, and does it matter if I'm working at 72 vs 300 dpi if it's a vector?

Also, when it's done, should I save it as a .JPEG for submission along with a vector?

Sorry for posting a noob question in the forum, but I didn't see an illustrator basics section :)

Any advice on format / submission specs is much appreciated!

Sincerely Caffeinated,
Thoreau

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Logo submission standard specs - contest in the AM
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:17:09 pm

I'd suggest you work inside a CMYK file.

Vector artwork is resolution independent, so ppi/dpi doesn't really apply unless you are using any raster effects, in which case you you would probably want to set the Document Raster Effect settings to 300dpi.

As far as the size of the artboard, probably just the standard paper sizes would be fine - US Letter or A4 if you're not in the US.
If you're not printing and you just need an image file, maybe make the artboard a perfect square, maybe 1024px x 1024px.
Don't make the logo fill the entire space, make it maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of the dimensions of the artboard, and position it just slight above center.
Think of the work as creating a composition, rather than simply creating a logo. Use the empty/white space to frame the art.

Just some ideas.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Thoreau Bakker
Re: Logo submission standard specs - contest in the AM
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:58:16 am

Vince,

thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

I like your idea of the framing, as opposed to just specs.

Still Learning,

Thoreau

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]