FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compound paths-How can I replace text?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Hampton
Compound paths-How can I replace text?
on Mar 10, 2012 at 5:38:31 pm

I was given a 'simple' assignment of replacing English text with a different language. I thought it would be all cut and paste, but the words are various sizes and colors (for a stylized look) and created using compound paths.

Is there some way to unlock these paths and replace the text or am I forced to recreate it all from scratch? If they had just typed in the text in different colors and sizes then cut and paste would have taken no time at all.

Thanks guys

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Compound paths-How can I replace text?
on Mar 13, 2012 at 11:19:36 pm

Sounds like you're going to have to manually retype. Though it might be possible to run the original file through Acrobat and use the OCR feature to recreate the live text.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:01:01 am

Thanks Vincent

I didn't think of ocr, will try that as a test. In the meantime I dealt with it by making a new text layer and cutting and pasting their foreign language text and matching font sizes and colors.

Sounds like you verified my thought that the text is gone once they change to outlines.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Mar 14, 2012 at 12:07:08 am

Since you do have vectors for the characters it should work. You might have to make some adjustments, but it sounds possible.

I've had situations where I needed create live Japanese text. The source rasters were too low resolution, so I opened the raster in AI, traced all of the characters with the pen tool, rasterized a high-res version from my vectors, OCR'd in Acrobat and it worked perfectly.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]