FORUMS: list search recent posts

Envelope distort more than 100%?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jiri Fiala
Envelope distort more than 100%?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 9:26:57 pm

Hi!

I have a shaded pipe in AI and I need to bend it to make a loop (it's a plumbing pipe). Envelope distort doesn't let me do more than 100 pct. Doing multiple bends doesn't work either, the resulting shape is wrong.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1273571/pipe.ai

It might help to be able to create a stroke from a custom Appearance, but I don't know how either... Thanks for any tip!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Envelope distort more than 100%?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 9:54:41 pm

Maybe create an Art Brush, like this:
3812_pipe2.ai.zip

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:00:21 pm

How did you do that man? I was trying to do that but AI kept telling me there were "elements that cannot be used as a brush" - expanding or flattening didn't help.

Your file is indeed perfect, thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:06:05 pm

Looks like, probably, when you expanded the gradient their was a mask object that surrounded the expanded elements - this is the typical behavior.
I just selected the the mask with the Group Selection tool and deleted it before dragging the gradient into the Brushes palette.
You should probably be able to try this in your original artwork.

Also note that I used Effect / Stylize / Round Corners on the angular shapes, to make the pipe/brush bend properly.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:09:35 pm

Great, thanks!

Just one more thing - when I make a loop with this brush, it does a weird thing on intersection (please see the AI file). This obviously doesn't look like a bent pipe.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1273571/3812_pipe3.ai

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:18:53 pm

You'll just need to duplicate the pipe on top of itself - Copy/Front - Hold Ctrl or Cmd + C, release C then click F. Or, Edit / Copy, Paste in Front.
Basically, you're creating a patch for the intersection.
Then just use the Scissor tool (C) to cut on both sides of the intersection, then delete the unnecessary parts. Or, you could mask the intersection.

Vince

Return to posts index

Jiri Fiala
on Mar 3, 2012 at 10:27:45 pm

Perfect! I would never find this out myself. I'm an Afer Effects guy :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]