FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Text Transparency to Color

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Corbett
Changing Text Transparency to Color
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:25:37 am

I'm embarrassed both that I can't figure out how to do this inside Illustrator but that I also can't seem to enter the right search parameters in Google to find a way to do it, so I must turn to the Creative Cow Community for what is hopefully a very simple answer to a fairly basic question.

I'm using some blocky/balloon text, a font called Pinewood if you're familiar with it, the kind that has dead space in addition to color. While I can change the color of the text without difficulty, I can't seem to figure out a way to change the transparent dead space to another color. Here's the font:

http://www.dafont.com/pinewood.font

If you view it, you'll see that the "knots" and "bark" are black and the "wood" is apparently white. In Illustrator, the white is actually transparent. Is there a way to change it from transparent to color? Say, black for the bark and red for the wood? I've tried creating clipping masks and outlines, but everything I do seems to only key off of the black. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer!

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
Re: Changing Text Transparency to Color
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:09:23 pm

Hi,
it's fairly simple:
1) convert the font to outlines.
2)select the converted font.
3)with the font selected go to ...,
and while everything still selected GO TO
4) go to and select . Now you should be able to see and select the formerly transparent areas only with your selection tool and color it to your likening.

hope that helps.

Return to posts index

John Corbett
on Mar 3, 2012 at 6:58:33 pm

Hi Adolf,

Thanks so much for responding. I attempted this last night, but any color changes I make to the transparent area affect the entire outline group, so I decided this wasn't going to work. However, on your advice, I tried again, and realized that if I copied the transparent areas and pasted them OUTSIDE the outline group, I was able to change their color without difficulty. It's clunky, but it'll work. Do you or anyone else know of a way to change the color of the transparent area while it's inside the outline group? That would be much easier. Thank you again!

- Jc3

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
on Mar 4, 2012 at 3:30:24 pm

lets do it again.
1: convert font to outlines.
2: select everything and go to...object...compound path....RELEASE.
3: with everything selected...UNGROUP.

After that the transparent parts are selectable with the selection tool.
cheers

Return to posts index

John Corbett
on Mar 4, 2012 at 6:54:02 pm

That did it. Your original post didn't have the crucial step that involved going to OBJECT -> COMPOUND PATH -> Release. That was an amazing fix! Thank you so much for your help, I am very grateful for the assistance!

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
on Mar 5, 2012 at 2:37:17 pm

I'm glad you got it worked out. Yes my original post didn't have the crucial steps because I put those in "tags" and when posted the contents of the tags got stripped off...my bad.
cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]