FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I check the size of an artboard?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignacio Holiday
How do I check the size of an artboard?
on Mar 2, 2012 at 11:35:05 pm

I have an artboard I downloaded with a graphics package. How do I check and see what size it is? I can see the rulers snapped to it, but I have no idea what the units are. And when I move the artboard around the rulers move along with it, but I want them to stay still.

Thanks...

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
Re: How do I check the size of an artboard?
on Mar 3, 2012 at 4:22:35 pm

just load the artboard into Illustrator.
Go to and press . There you can resize by just dragging or in the transformation menu enter the precise dimensions you want the artboard to be.

I don't quite understand why you wouldn't want the guides to move with the artboard. If you lay out a grid with guides wouldn't you want the guides to stay the same when you move the artboard? Otherwise you would have to set up the guides again, every time you move the artboard around.
If that's what you want you can always go to ..., then you can select all or certain guides and simply delete them..

cheers

Return to posts index

Ignacio Holiday
on Mar 3, 2012 at 5:09:36 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I totally understand though. The transformation menu allows you to re-size the artwork, but it doesn't tell you what the original size of the artboard is right? Bsically, I just want to find out what size this artboard is so I can make another one of equal size. I don't know it because I didn't build the artboard. The rulers (not guides, like I accidentally said)are hard to use to measure the artboard because I don't know what units they're in. Is there a button that just gives you basic info about your artboard like its size? Sorry if that's a dumb question; I'm just starting out here.

Return to posts index

adolf witzeling
on Mar 4, 2012 at 3:25:02 pm

there are no dumb questions :)
Go to document setup....edit artboards....then the size of the artboard
will be visible and changeable in the menu above the document window (not the transformation palet).

To check the units of your document (pixels, inches etc.) go to preferences...units....you can change it to the unit you are used to work in.

To precisely place guides...pull in a ruler from the side or top, then go to view...guides and uncheck "lock guides". Then you can select a guide and enter the exact dimensions in the menu above the window or in the transformation palet, so the guides will pop in place.
cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]