FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expand bounding box without resizing artwork

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kirk Smith
Expand bounding box without resizing artwork
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:47:42 am

I've got a raster illustration that I'm trying to live trace into vector artwork. Illustrator is doing a really good job of tracing it, but unfortunately there's something I can't seem to overcome. The raster image goes right to the edge of the image on the left and right, so the trace is being cut off on those edges. I tried opening the raster in Photoshop and expanding the canvas size by 10 pixels on each edge, but for some reason that makes some of the parts of the trace come out totally wrong (not interpolating properly between points). Is there a way to expand the bounding box without actually resizing the artwork on a raster image, or does someone have any hints as to what I can do to avoid the edges being cut off?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Expand bounding box without resizing artwork
on Feb 8, 2012 at 11:56:34 am

I'm not sure that I'm totally following the issue.

But to answer your question of...
Is there a way to expand the bounding box [in Photoshop] without actually resizing the artwork on a raster image, or does someone have any hints as to what I can do to avoid the edges being cut off?

Photoshop: Image / Canvas Size

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Kirk Smith
on Feb 8, 2012 at 12:29:27 pm

I wasn't asking how to expand the bounding box in Photoshop, I said I already tried that and it didn't work. I'm asking how to expand the bounding box in Illustrator so that the edges of the raster image don't get cut off when I do a live trace. Currently the raster touches the edges of the image, when I live trace it, the edges get cut off and look flat.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:03:25 pm

My mistake captain.
Maybe upload your image, or any similar image that would produce the same results?

You say...
'how to expand the bounding box in Illustrator so that the edges of the raster image don't get cut off when I do a live trace'

You're saying that part of the image is being cut off.
What is this part that's being cut off? Why not open the whole image in Illustrator so it isn't cut off.
It sounds to me like you're expecting Illustrator to create something out of data that doesn't exits. This isn't reasonable, and I don't believe that's what you're trying to do. This is why I'm saying that it's not clear to me what you're trying to do, what result you're trying to achieve.

I don't think you can make the bounding box larger than the object bounds. You could put an empty rectangle around it, and that would make the bounding box bigger, but you wouldn't be able to live trace it.

Just trying to help.

Einstein said - 'No problem can be solved from the same level of consciousness that created it.'

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Kirk Smith
on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:41:21 pm

I can't really explain it more than I have, so here's an example picture:

You see how the rounded edge from the raster image gets cut off by the live trace tool, because that rounded edge is touching the edge of the image, so the live trace tool can't properly interpolate the path.

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Feb 8, 2012 at 2:17:15 pm

3653_livetrace.zip [CS4]

To deal with the flattened edges you're going to have to increase the canvas size in Photoshop.
To get a better trace you'll have to also increase the size of the artwork while in photoshop, even if your original is a raster, maybe by 3x or 4x with Bicubic Smoother.

I think you can achieve a decent trace with this source image, though not 'perfect'.
The only other option, of course, would be to redraw the artwork in AI or tweak an expanded trace to meet your satisfaction. You could do this in less than an hour, so it may or may not be worth the effort.

The attached file uses the supplied image enlarged by 3x (though 4x might be better), and includes the custom trace settings.

Vince

Return to posts index

Terry Kelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:18:37 pm

I've had the same problem with being unable to expand the bounding box in Illustrator. When I apply a drop shadow or some other effect and then place the graphic in InDesign, the edge is cut off a very little bit.
I solved this in two ways. One is to add little no color boxes beyond the edge of the image in illustrator. This expand the bounding box. The other is to place it in InDesign and expand the bounding box there.

Return to posts index

Lawrence DelRe, D.C., N.R.C.M.E.
on Jul 8, 2015 at 3:38:17 am

I know this is about Illustrator, but it might still apply.

I found the answer to the problem I was having in Photoshop: One of the layers had a bounding box that was limiting another layer with a big blue dot that faded out as it approached the outer edge of the dot. The halftone fade was "boxed" off. I was using a big blue dot that faded out as it approached the outer edge of the dot. I wanted it as a background layer for an object within it from another layer on top. Hard to explain, but I'm trying...

The answer: Start with the object layer. Then add a transparent layer, and paste the blue dot on it.

Wa la! No more "boxing" off of the fading blue dot. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]