FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create a map projection from a vector graphic?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fuchs
Create a map projection from a vector graphic?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:54:40 pm

Hey, I'm looking to use a vector illustration I've made and map it onto a sphere in After Effects. Unfortunately I cannot find any suitable tutorials at how to take an object and distort it to a suitable projection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equirectangular_projection). Thus, my graphic is heavily distorted towards the "poles" once it's wrapped--so I need to do the distortion before it's wrapped, preferably in Illustrator since it needs to remain a vector. Anyone have any ideas?

Return to posts index

Tylor Larson
Re: Create a map projection from a vector graphic?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:03:05 pm

david,
i did some minor testing on your problem. with out seeing the Ai file I can't confirm my solution but here are some options. In illustrator you could group all of your elements into a layer. Then go and try the effect.
Effect / Warp... i would try fisheye and set it to a positive value. You might need to re-mask this again so the end product is square or a rectangle. You could do this in AE with another comp. or in illustrator... but i would save a copy of your original project in case this all goes sideways. remember to save your file, go into AE and reload the AI layers so you can see how the effect is impacting your sphere filter. again I'm not totally sure this will work but with enough time and testing it should get you close to what you asked for.

TY

Return to posts index

David Fuchs
Re: Create a map projection from a vector graphic?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:31:40 pm

I'll take a look at that idea, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]